Some recent birch spoons!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Yep I know you all just can't wait for another spoon thread so here it is :D. This is 3 carved birch spoons I have completed today. First I roughly carved them out in the woods then let them dry in a t-shirt indoors for some days and then finally carved them. Haven't carved spoons in years but now I'm kind of hooked.3 more is drying in my appartment :).

How they looked when I roughed them out in the woods prior to drying.
287gk94.jpg

Final shapes.
1416w7q.jpg

10pavx5.jpg

3 more that is drying at the moment...
5rac5.jpg

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Thanks! Today when I was driving around I found a couple of places with many birches cut down close to the road! One of the spoons from above in other lightning :).
o6mwqt.jpg

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
inspirational, I think I'll try not to be so fanatical about the symmetry, definitely gives a different and individual feel to them.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Are you going to sand these?

I'm with Tjurved for not sanding them, it's a better texture and takes much more skill to finish a spoon properly rather than just sanding the heck out of it in my opinion. Which he has done very well, meaning it won't go fibrous after being washed and it a lot nicer to touch and use.

Great job on the spoons Tjurved mate! :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I'm with Tjurved for not sanding them, it's a better texture and takes much more skill to finish a spoon properly rather than just sanding the heck out of it in my opinion. Which he has done very well, meaning it won't go fibrous after being washed and it a lot nicer to touch and use.

Great job on the spoons Tjurved mate! :)

I agree with this too

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more spoons! :D On this one the spoon bowls bottom is the outer ring of the tree closest to the birch bark. Too bad for all the knots and evil grain on the handle though.

2wd7hjs.jpg

20hsgeg.jpg

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Roughed out some smaller spoons today! I have 4 spoons that is almost dry for final carving also. So about 10 spoons I have to look forward to if all goes well :).

23s7iwk.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE