Some notes on trousers from Fjallraven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I read this review:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.ph...gloves-etc/Fjallraven-Greenland-Trousers.html
, but thouhgt it worth to add a few points after selling Fjallraven stuff for a living for 20-odd-years.
I prefer FR because of two reasons:
Outside all fashion (to which they have to succumb, too) they still produce clothes which can be worn hard and are available in whole unfashionable cuts which make them easy to wear when outside and not looking into a mirror. The later is, compared with other manufactures, an almost unique aproach.
The G-1000 fabric is very hardwearing, fast-drying and still quite lightweight.
These days there are many different trousers made by FR on the market, which differ mostly by price, features and - most important - the cut.
And the latter is, IMHO, the most important aspect when using one of these outside.
So have a look at the diferent ones:
Greenland: rather wide, "high waist" (according to FR, but lower as the high one of the Iceland), legs with straps
Barents: dito, no straps at the legs, but with reinforcement panel all over the ****! Excellent when sitting on a cold and wet ground!
Iceland: like Greenland, but with uncut legs and with a much higher waist, especially in the back! The most comfortable not only when you are a bit portly and dont want to appear like this in the wild and wet:
http://www.blunzn.com/uploads/mechaniker_dekoltee.serendipityThumb.jpg
Reivo: the cut is a bit slimmer, waist not as high as the Greenland less pockets, uncut legs, no reinforcements, much lower price and a very good choice if you want to wear them as an everyday-garment, too!
Karl: very low cut, tight fitting, completely unsuitable for anyone who wants to move unrestrecticted in the wilderness. (The best selling FR-trousers we have here in our shop in germany, to the extent that we regularly dont stock anything else because only this one will sell to the vast majority, (Dump buggers).
Cape Horn: similar to the Karl, but maybe not so extremly low cut.
Vidda: may be similar to the Barents, I have never tried them.
Some other comments:
The knife pocket of Iceland/Greenland is suitable for a classic scandinavian-style knife with a blade of less than 10.0cm, but you may have to try several.
Re-waxing is best done with a hair-dryer for melting the wax into the fabric. Its so much easier to control this process. Also ypour mum/wife wont go ballistic for you having glogged her expensive pressing-iron with wax. Likewise, put some layers of newspaper on the table before the waxing.
The more fashionable trousers, like the Karl, come unwaxed and with a "sanded" surface to make them more suitable for the shopping-mall.
Likewise, these do not have the standard 8!!! loops for the belt, which are a must-have for any good trouser.
In the last 25 years, I have never really worn out any of my trousers from FR. The worst I had, with my first one when I was younger, was a hole in one (I only kneel on the right one) of the knee reinforcements after eight years of use.
In between I only outgrew them and nowadays I buy a new one because the old one looks a bit shabby for using at work (and only there) and because Fjallraven is clever enough to heavily subsidize the price we at the outdoor shop have to pay for them.:D
The only thing I value more than my "Iceland", when in the woods, are my boots!
Remember, you wear the trousers the whole day, the jacket may come off.
I rather buy an expensive set of jacket and trousers from FR, and add a cheap poncho and gaiters, than shell out lots of dough on a Goretex and a Softshell jacket.
In fact, thats what I do! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting stuff oetzi

I`ve just recently bought a pair of Cape Horns because I preferred the slimmer leg fit. Personally I prefer them to the Foresters I had which were just too baggy for me. I`d forgotten they had unfinished legs but it wasn`t too hard adjusting them. I ran over the new hem with a medium hot iron over a tea towel which seemed to do the trick.

Glad to hear they`re gonna last me 25 years though :D That`s a good investment for £80 in my book.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
G-1000 does not like barbed wire fences or bum slides on Lakeland slate scree though - mind you neither does my backside really.

I've yet to see any trousers that will shrug off a good snag on barb wire without tearing some.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i,ve got lots of fjallraven gear in the last 2 years and i do like it, however i do not think it is worth the money. there are lots of other makes on the market that are equally as good at half the price !the best thing by far i have bought from fjallraven is a merino olive green cardigan that i forget the name of but it is quality. so much so i have tried to buy a couple more ,but cannot find them anywhere.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks, good review and confirmation that the Karl is weak. Tempted by the price I bought one of these and I agree with you about them being unsuitable. My favourite is the Iceland.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
What the h3ll are you talking about? Karl being unsuitable?? No, not really, I've used it a lot, both in winter and summer, and not had any complaints with it at all! Last year I had around 50 nights out with most of them using the Karl pant. I think they are superior to their older models greenland and Iceland. Especially with their prebent knees and superior pocket layout. Tight fitting?? How fat are you guys? I find them really loose, compared to for instance Iceland. They are not particularly low cut and as they come in unfinished length I don't have any problems with them at all. I rate them as the best model they've come up with, next after domines. Bear in mind that I've used fjällräven since I was 6 years old (being 26 now), so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Get a grip and use them long term before juding, please.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
To quote Fjallraven from the web:

Karl Trousers
Trekking
� Trousers in brushed G-1000Ž
� Pre-shaped legs
� Low waist and regular fit

Greenland Trousers
Trekking
� Classic, hardwearing trousers
� Elastic, buttoned leg endings
� High waist and comfort fit

Iceland Trousers
Trekking
� Comfortable trekking trousers
� Safety pocket

QED!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Most of my Fjallraven trousers have torn or disintegrated quite quickly (pockets, zip-fly...) so I have stopped buying their stuff.

I've been wearing the forrester and more recently the greenland trouser every day for years and have had no problems with the pockets or earlier than expected wear however the zip-fly does fail more readily than I'd expect. Additionally both trousers have an annoying fly button design which digs into your belly when wearing a pack with hip belt (easily fixed by replacing the original button).

:)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
To quote Fjallraven from the web:

Karl Trousers
Trekking
� Trousers in brushed G-1000Ž
� Pre-shaped legs
� Low waist and regular fit

Greenland Trousers
Trekking
� Classic, hardwearing trousers
� Elastic, buttoned leg endings

Iceland Trousers
Trekking
� Comfortable trekking trousers
� Safety pocket

QED!

yeah, so? How can you be so ignorant and dismiss something you haven't used long term? You have to be quite fat to interpret regular fit as tight fitting, combine that with prebent legs and you end up with something that restrict your movement? How on earth are you shaped? Prebent knees make them more up to the job than their older models. Period. And lets not discuss the pocket lay-out of the greenland and iceland, which is quite useless. Knifepocket? Come on, that's just silly.

And I don't need no evidence, I got my experience, which outweigh any webquotes by a factor of 10.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
And lets not discuss the pocket lay-out of the greenland and iceland, which is quite useless. Knifepocket? Come on, that's just silly..

I actually like to carry my knife in my Barent's knife pocket! ;)
I'm sure everyone has his own likings...

Big Swede, just wondering, when I was looking at the Karl: what's the small, buttoned pocket on the left leg for?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I actually like to carry my knife in my Barent's knife pocket! ;)
I'm sure everyone has his own likings...

Big Swede, just wondering, when I was looking at the Karl: what's the small, buttoned pocket on the left leg for?

That's the only one I've objected against (in my review of them on utsidan..). I find that one useless actually, I used to keep a radar reflector there, but I sewed that one into my jacket instead. I think it is intended for muktitools, I don't own one, maybe it's good for that. The best feature after the prebent knees is the zippered pocket. That one is ace. I've added buttons for suspenders/braces, it's a thing I lack on almost all pants.

EDIT: Shewie was quicker.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Aren't the Foresters the same as the trekking shorts? I wore my trekking shorts on a Woodlore course and the staff asked me if I'd cut down the Foresters to make them :)

Tobes

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I bet FR don't make trousers for the "oversized" gent though.
I'm 6'8", medium build with a 38" inside leg and a 42" waist.
Any recommendations greatly appreciated. I'm fed up of trawling the internet and evilbay trying to find long enough trousers. I just seem to find lots of trousers with a "long" size of 33" inside leg.....now if I were looking for breeches....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE