Some firesteels I've just capped

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
all done by hand (as in i dont have a lathe or bandsaw so getting totally straight cuts or roundness is tricky for me) on an old b&d grinder.....

two monster ones....pretty useless things really but boys with toys eh? cocobolo and buffalo horn....(and yeah i'm pee'd off about the glue visible on the coco one...one minute it wasnt there...all clean....went back an hour later...glues come out....damn air bubble????)

STEELSLOW.jpg

STEELS2LOW.jpg

a tiny little one in buffalo horn

STEELBUFFLOW.jpg

red deer antler

STEELANT2LOW.jpg

two in tulipwood

STEELWOOD2LOW.jpg

hope you like!

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Do you possibly buy them off ebay ^^ from the same vendor as me recognized the scrapers ^^
Lovely stuff, I love the cocobolo one and all is not lost right couldnt a sharp knife fix the glue?
Also love the nice and thin one from buffalo.
Yours sincerely Ruud

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... pee'd off about the glue visible on the coco one...one minute it wasnt there...all clean....went back an hour later...glues come out....damn air bubble???? ...

Could be a reaction between the ferro and moisture in the wood, or possibly the in glue but if the others were OK more likely not the glue. The reaction will generate hydrogen gas.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
thanks very much guys....not as much as i should perrari....hit the sofa about 4am last night mainly due to finishing off the shaping of the knife in the other thread....and thanks for the info ged....i learned a valuable lesson tho....to keep checking every few minutes until sure the glue has set....

ta again,

a

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE