Soles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 15, 2015
England
Recently purchased a pair of altberg boots which are excellent apart from one minor problem I find the vibram soles slippy when walking over wet rock.
For a number of years I used Merrill walking shoes which also have a vibram sole but they had a much better grip in such conditions which I put down to the pattern on the vibram sole.
Be interested to hear any comments on the above.

Thanks

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Different Vibram soles use different rubber compounds. A softer compound (like the Merrells) will grip better on wet rock, but the trade off is that it will wear out much faster. I guess Altberg choose to compromise supreme grip in favour of a longer lasting sole. I know boots can be re-soled, but it is not cheap, and a bit of bother to send them away for a couple of weeks, so I guess most people are moderately happy with this compromise.

Although I have never had a pair, I have heard good things said about Salomon boots and their wet rock gripping abilities.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Hi Walker22 have you thought about talking to Altberg it will be something thay will have encountered before and they have always been very approachable in the past.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE