So much for Christian spirit..Rant.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Last year for the first time in ten years i noticed a apple tree in full fruit bloom within the grounds of the Church 100 yards from my home. Lovely big reddy green apples. Apples all over the ground going to waste and no-one seemed to be bothering with them.

After a few days of walking by i decided i would take a few and make myself some apple crumble. I opened the gate. No house connected to the church, so no-one at home to ask permission, i nipped in and helped myself a a small bag. I had to scramble along a wall about 20 feet at the side of the church to get to the apples. Good sturdy thick sandstone wall, so no damage whatsoever.

When i get to the tree i can see that it's not on the Churches property but wedged between the church wall and a metal fence next to some private flats.

The private flats have only been up for around 5 years so no-one in the flats owned/planted the tree and as it was off church property fair game as far as i was concerned.

Roll on a Year and the tree has been chopped down. I can only assume the Church had it cut down because the bulk of the branches overhung Church property. Not getting in anyone's road, just 80% of the branches overhung the church side. I cant see anyone from the flats going to the trouble of chopping down a tree that was twenty feet from the nearest flat.

The Irony is that particular church are never done either leafleting my house or chapping my door for food donations for the needy. A charity i have given to freely and without question in the past. If they had kept the tree i could have made some apple crumble for them to share with the needy.

Christians my A###. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
At least you find Christian spirit, or just plain old kindness, is alive and well on this forum. Only this week a member went out of their way to help me. Small things like that allow me to keep some faith in humanity.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
I can sympathise mate... I was once told by a farmer to give him back the field mushrooms I had picked from a public footpath on his land, as he had 'planted them'. No I'm not joking and neither was he! Obviously I laughed and carried on walking! Luckily I found the BCUK community and they have given me a much needed glimmer of hope.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I can sympathise mate... I was once told by a farmer to give him back the field mushrooms I had picked from a public footpath on his land, as he had 'planted them'. No I'm not joking and neither was he! Obviously I laughed and carried on walking! Luckily I found the BCUK community and they have given me a much needed glimmer of hope.

Now that situation could have been lots of fun. ok Mr Farmer, no worries, here's a bunch of Mushrooms i picked this morning. they taste better boiled in coffee. enjoy. ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A farmer told me to go cut all the caulis I could carry every day for a week recently. The field had been harvested but was full of cauli leaves and small or odd shaped ones. My chickens ate 4 caulis a day for a week. Same guy brought me 2 tonnes of well rotted manure and put it exactly where I wanted it.

Mind you my missus takes cakes and eggs to his old dad once a week. We find most landowners to be kind and giving to be honest.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I can only assume the Church had it cut down because the bulk of the branches overhung Church property.

Yeah, because trees are never removed for any other reason, are they? You absolutely never hear of trees dying of disease, or being damaged by bad weather, or vandalism, or developers or idiot council workmen, or because some moron sued for an apple falling on their head. And it has to have been the church, which presumably has been there since long before the apple took seed, and not the owners of the flats? Or maybe they just did'nt want to encourage thieves and trespassers from entering the property, perhaps falling off the good sturdy thick sandstone wall and injuring themselves. You do sound a little like the guy I caught leaning over my fence stealing my rasps last year, most indignant when I told him where to go.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Yeah, because trees are never removed for any other reason, are they? You absolutely never hear of trees dying of disease, or being damaged by bad weather, or vandalism, or developers or idiot council workmen, or because some moron sued for an apple falling on their head. And it has to have been the church, which presumably has been there since long before the apple took seed, and not the owners of the flats? Or maybe they just did'nt want to encourage thieves and trespassers from entering the property, perhaps falling off the good sturdy thick sandstone wall and injuring themselves. You do sound a little like the guy I caught leaning over my fence stealing my rasps last year, most indignant when I told him where to go.

Lord give me strength.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
That's nice to hear, a bit of community spiritedness goes a long way. Used to be similar with all our neighbours where I grew up, fantastic childhood in and around that village. Some of the farmers were not so charitable... Letting their dogs loose if they saw you walking your own dog on local public pathways so as to harass them, putting bulls in fields that had well used pathways through them, barbedwire across stiles... a real happy go lucky bunch were our local Staffordshire farmers! LOL! But you're right there were some good ones too and we usually did hay making and potato picking for them and always got a good meal and some free produce to take home... Great days.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Lord give me strength.

Tell you what, go and ask the church if they did in fact cut it down, and if the answer is yes, then come back and rant. Because at the moment all you have is ASSumption. Or you could always just turn the other cheek, you know, being so keen on all that christianity stuff.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
s037p_zpsw5jfmowf.jpg

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Possibly, but that signature line cuts two ways, as does the quote about Christian spirit and turning the other cheek mate. Let bygones be bygones, life's very short.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
, putting bulls in fields that had well used pathways through them

Bulls are a fantastic rambler deterrent! Electric fences if properly camouflaged work too near entrances to fields. Of people would stick to actual footpaths then farmers wouldn't have to deter people with livestock, odds are if there are beast in a field though it's not a footpath it's simply a commonly trespassed field. I was speaking to a bloke who was flying his hawk, without permission, on a farm I shoot. Then he told me he had released 20 rabbits there earlier in the year and where his to hunt! Now there's a reason to legalise man traps! Seems odd theyd cut the tree down though (sorry for my mini rant) shame really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE