So I'm trying to make an Ash flatbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Following this guide

I've got my stave split, debarked and drawn up. But somehow, I managed to completely miss the curve in the end until now!
XQoo5fPl.jpg

The curved end is the closest one. About 10 inches of the end of the bow are on the curve (pretty much the whole closest section)
wpu1xyLl.jpg

How much will this affect the finished bow? Is it worth carrying on, or should I try the other half instead?

I didn't know if it was an option to try and bend the end into shape.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
bumps and bends aren't such a problem with nice rustic selfbows ;) When you tiller you just have to watch that both limbs move the same amount even though they won't be mirrors of each other and make sure you look at it from both sides. Twists are more of a problem than bends, even then its just a case of seeing through the twist and reading how the wood is bending/unwinding as you go.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The idea is to follow every curve faithfully using the back of the bow as a guide for depth and the grain as a guide for width. Thickness taper is just as important as width.
Ignore the grain at your peril as you are not playing to the woods strength.
Looking good so far just take it easy and put down the single blade tools and favour the rasp and scraper earlier rather than later.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ah brilliant, I'll keep going on him for now then. Still got the other half if I mess up! Thanks for the advice.

Where can I get a good scraper from?

I just bought one from my local hardware shop dont think its something that B&Q would stock but could be wrong. Fantastic tool for bow making and woodwork in general. Near impossible to pull up grain with one and can remove wood pretty quickly not to mention leaving a great finish.
You can make them or use an old knife but a proper one or set of them is much better and easier to maintain.
Cost next to nawt too. Think mine were about £7 each ?

I just bought one from my local hardware shop dont think its something that B&Q would stock but could be wrong. Fantastic tool for bow making and woodwork in general. Near impossible to pull up grain with one and can remove wood pretty quickly not to mention leaving a great finish.
You can make them or use an old knife but a proper one or set of them is much better and easier to maintain.
Cost next to nawt too. Think mine were about £7 each ?

I found this one that looks like it'll do the job alright.

I think I'll end up using just the rasp and the scraper to remove wood in the end because I don't have a draw knife.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I found this one that looks like it'll do the job alright.

I think I'll end up using just the rasp and the scraper to remove wood in the end because I don't have a draw knife.

:) gutted. Exactly the same as my two scrapers except a third of the price :(
Keep them sharp like any tool and they will work much better. I file them square then burnish. Lots of guides out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE