So I made my first knive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi All,

Just wanted to show off. Áfter having a knive made, I found a few flaws in my design after using it, the bevels were to flat, so it becomes blunt to easy and I found it to big to handle for carving. So with the advise off the guy that made my previous knive I decided to give it a go myself.

I ordered some materials at http://swc-handmade-knives.com/ (Steve is a really nice guy and he added some tips for knifemaking with the materials). If anybody is looking for materials, I can highly recommend him. I ordered a piece of O1 high carbon steel, some knive handle material (old english oak). Here are the raw materials

Pic1_rawmaterials.jpg

So first I created a paper model of the knive, also seen in the first picture. I guess on this forum I don't have to explain where the design came from........

After that it was to my garage for some sawing grainding and filing untill I had a blank in the shape I wanted. For this (and all the other steps in creating the knive I used only hand tools (nothing electrical) as I didn't want to take to much metal of.

Pic2_Shapewithoutbevel.jpg

After that it was time to shape the bevel, again using only files and course sharpening stones.

Pic3_Bevelmade.jpg

When I had reached this stage it was time to harden the blade. Since I didn't have any tools for this and no experience the guy who made my previous knive wanted to help me out there, this is him hardening my blade.

Pic4_Haredening.jpg

After that it was a lot of work cleaning up the blade and re sharpening it, again using only differend grades of sanding paper and differend grades of sharpening stones. The it wass time to fit the handles. Unfortunatly I made an error with drilling the nice wood I ordered from SWC and made them unusable. In my eager to finish the knive I resorted to checking out the neighbors stack of firewood and came up with this:

Pic5_alternativeHadle.jpg

So I made the handles out of this wood and soaked it in olive oil (didn't have any linseed oil and it was a sunday) for 24 houres. After that I let it dry out. After that I made a sheet out of leather and let it soak in the olive oil bottom well for 10 hours. After that I sharpened it using the tips out of RM essential bushcraft, finishing it on a leather belt and giving it some extra sharpness on a singlespyderco ceramic rod. It cuts very well and is great to handle. So the RM design really works well.

Now here is the finished knive, hope you like it.......

Pic6_Finished1.jpg

Pic7_Finished2.jpg

Pic8_Finished3.jpg

Now for anyone who also wants to make a knive, beware the process is very satisfying and addictive. I'm allready creating a second one for my wife......

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Redneck thanks for the wonderfull comment, I think the trick with shaping the bevels is 1to stp using files when there is still about half a millimeter of material to remove and use only sharpening stones from there. I used the technique Ray Mears described in essential bushcraft for this. It gets the bevels nice and even.

The downside is that it literally took days to shape the bevels in this way.

Thanks for the kind comments again...

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
very nice work mate , im in the middle of making the scales for mine once its done i will stick it on here ( i hope it looks this good )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE