Snugpak Bergen heads up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Even £50 is too much in my opinion for the Snugpak bergen..................I can't think of one thing it has in it's favour............Oh yes I can, the colour.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
thanks for the heads up always wanted one but to pricey for me.
even better when i went to check out applied a further 40% off so got it with 2 day delivery for £35.95 cant grumble at that one very happy bushcrafter :)

cheers andy

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Actually, I never technically received it. FedEx left it with a neighbour, and didn't even leave a card to say so. Maybe I should contact the supplier and my bank and just get a full refund.
Not a very honest thing to do in my opinion old chap.
Keep it and enjoy it.

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
thanks for the heads up always wanted one but to pricey for me.
even better when i went to check out applied a further 40% off so got it with 2 day delivery for £35.95 cant grumble at that one very happy bushcrafter :)

cheers andy

I'm happy that someone has benefitted.

Not a very honest thing to do in my opinion old chap.
Keep it and enjoy it.

Not an honest thing to do in my opinion either, but I wasn't actually considering it, just joking about it. The point was about the sloppy work by FedEx.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Even £50 is too much in my opinion for the Snugpak bergen..................I can't think of one thing it has in it's favour............Oh yes I can, the colour.

I was looking at grabbing a bargain (have been looking at army surplus bergens up to now). Whats so bad about the snugpak bergen, it looks good?

Ffin72

Jul 21, 2011
Stoke on Trent
I was looking at grabbing a bargain (have been looking at army surplus bergens up to now). Whats so bad about the snugpak bergen, it looks good?

The main criticisms that I have read are that it's a bergen in the military sense, and therefore designed to be worn with a beltkit. That's not a problem if you're quite short, or wear a beltkit. The other is that the fabric is only 5 or 6 hundred denier, and much thinner that on, say, a PLCE bergen. However, I have other product descriptions that say this material is as strong as 1000D, but much lighter. I don't plan on throwing mine out of the back of a Chinook, or dragging it around FOB Robinson, so it should be okay.

One criticism I have is that the side pouches attach with zips and fastex buckles, as on the PLCE bergen, but the Snugpak only has buckles at the top of the pouches. This would make it less secure to attach a Camelbak on the outside, although the compression straps would help. However, there is an internal sleeve in the main compartment for a hydration pouch, but that may necessitate a longer drinking tube.

In all I'm still glad I bought mine.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

Where to start ?......it is made from 500 Denier nylon ( many chinese made rucksacks have 600 D fabric........... real PLCE bergens are made from 1000 D cordura).........the shoulder straps are very thin with hardly any padding & the edges are not internally sewn but edged with strips of fabric.( which can dig in & rub) ) the straps arn't very solidly connected to the bag either & are attached at the top of the bag ( like day packs) & not at the back & so there are no load lifting/ stabalising straps.
They do have air meshed backs, which I don't like as it does get snagged
It has only 2 vertical metal bars which pass as a frame.
It has a very short back, so the flimsy waist belt will go around you stomach & not your hips.
It does have a rain cover, but so do most cheap chinese made rucksacks.

It has nothing in common with the army bergen but if you're just looking for a military type bag to carry your kit from the car to your campsite then this might work for you but if you want a hiking or expedition rucky then give this a miss.

Don't base your descission on my say as some people like them, particually in the USA ( they don't have such easy access to real bergens as we do )

Last edited:

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Where to start ?......it is made from 500 Denier nylon ( many chinese made rucksacks have 600 D fabric........... real PLCE bergens are made from 1000 D cordura).........the shoulder straps are very thin with hardly any padding & the edges are not internally sewn but edged with strips of fabric.( which can dig in & rub) ) the straps arn't very solidly connected to the bag either & are attached at the top of the bag ( like day packs) & not at the back & so there are no load lifting/ stabalising straps.
They do have air meshed backs, which I don't like as it does get snagged
It has only 2 vertical metal bars which pass as a frame.
It has a very short back, so the flimsy waist belt will go around you stomach & not your hips.
It does have a rain cover, but so do most cheap chinese made rucksacks.

It has nothing in common with the army bergen but if you're just looking for a military type bag to carry your kit from the car to your campsite then this might work for you but if you want a hiking or expedition rucky then give this a miss.

Don't base your descission on my say as some people like them, particually in the USA ( they don't have such easy access to real bergens as we do )

I don't really do massive walks when I'm camping but I have a rucksack that I can do that with. I only bought one so that I can carry most of my kit inside the bag and I like the idea of side pouches. I won't be carrying massive weights, its purely for synthetic kit as my sleeping bag is mahoosive when packed down and I'm hate having to strap it to the outside of my bag.

I also like the big hood pockets etc as it might actually allow me to keep my kit organised. As has said before I won't be throwing it around chinooks, maybe an easy mile through the woods for a bit of glamping bushcraft style :D so hopefully it will suit me fine.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
its purely for synthetic kit as my sleeping bag is mahoosive when packed down

It will probably be ok for you then but if your sleeping bag is that big, you may not have much room left inside the bag once your bag is in............my sleeping bag takes up about a third of my PLCE bergen & the snugpack is considerably smaller.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Having missed the chance of buying the snugpak bergen online (damn me and my momentary hesitation), I decided to hightailt it to my nearest Millets this morning in case they had one hidden away .

Alas no luck, they apparently went like hotcakes.

I'm not empty handed though. Just bought a new style 2 litre camelbak (originally 29 quid then marked down to 14) and a camelbak cleaning kit. Take away the 40% discount and they cost just over £11.

Well worth the trip...

Sent from my BlackBerry using a combination of Tapatalk and magic

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
Not sure if I got good stuff but I did get a lot of items for my money:
Order Date : Sat Nov 26 00:31:49 GMT 2011

Item Description : Ryde 2 Man Dome Tent (Colour: Green)
Item Code : 096464450....
Price : GBP 19.49
Qty : 1
Line Discount : GBP -7.80
Line Sub Total : GBP 11.69

Item Description : Bobcat 65 Litre Rucksack (Colour: Olive)
Item Code : 104154650....
Price : GBP 49.99
Line Discount : GBP -20.00
Line Sub Total : GBP 29.99

Item Description : Plain Scarf (Colour: Black)
Item Code : 014482430....
Price : GBP 12.99
Line Discount : GBP -5.20
Line Sub Total : GBP 7.79

Item Description : Thinsulate® Lined Gloves (Colour: Purple, Size: XS)
Item Code : 01060738XS...
Price : GBP 5.00
Line Discount : GBP -2.00
Line Sub Total : GBP 3.00

Order Sub-total : GBP 52.47

Delivery Type : Standard delivery (3-5 working days)
Delivery Price : GBP 4.95
Promotion : GBP -0.00

Grand Total : GBP 57.42

Bit of a booboo on the gloves size, but it's a free listing weekend on Ebay ;)

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Nice bargains there mate cant believe i did nt see a free postage offer but still the price for my rucksack im still more than happy :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE