Snowdon Horseshoe safe weather conditions? (first time scrambling)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
My friend and I are going to do the Snowdon Horseshoe next weekend. We have appropriate gear, clothing and shoes etc. are both fit, have done long hikes before, and can navigate well.

Neither of us have any experience scrambling though, and I was wondering if someone could give me a rough idea of what "safe" conditions are to do it in (so we know whether to actually do it or not after looking at the forecast).

In particular, how strong does the wind have to be (in mph) for it to be unsafe to the point where we might get blown off of the ridge. How much rain is too much, (is a light drizzle ok, or will that make the rock too slippery)?

Thanks!

Billy

Pioneer72

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2016
Shropshire
I assume you are going to start up Crib Goch and work that way round - scrambling down it is much harder than up it.
However it is an adventurous scramble if you never went before - there can be a few exposed moves required depending on your route choice, and it is a long way to bounce if you miss a hold.
The arete part is not somewhere to be when it is windy, even if experienced.

When looking at the forecast, a good rule of thumb for wind :
Count the 'contour lines' on the air pressure map - take the number of lines that touch any part of the UK main island and multiply by 10 = approx windspeed at the top of the mountain in mph.
If the number you get is over 30, it will be a blustery day which will challenge your balance, and Crib Goch is not a good spot for such challenges.
Over 40, expect to be route finding on the side of the ridge - the ridge won't be a place to be in this wind and you will wish you went elsewhere.
Over 50, definitely be someplace else.

Even drizzle will make for slippery rocks, but people do walk it in the rain. Whether they enjoy their day is another thing entirely!

Personally I aim to have an alternate route planned - if the weather is nice then route A (e.g. the horseshoe), or if not nice then a more lowland route.
If you get a good day, Crib Goch is one of the most amazing routes in Wales, but in wind and rain it is most unpleasant, and high potential for accidents.

Another note for a good weather day : if you want to park at Pen-y-pass hostel, be there by like 5am else you won't get a space. The next parking spaces are either at Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel on the roadside (don't forget to 'pay and display!') or if later on there is a car park with a shuttle bus to Pen-y-Pass further on towards Llanberis.

Just found this pic at http://www.snowdon-walks.co.uk/2014/10/10/crib-goch-to-snowdon/
It shows both how lovely it is on a good day, and makes you think what it will be like in horrid weather :)

So all in, I hope you get nice weather, its an awesome day out :)

crib-goch-ridge.jpg

Last edited:

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Some prior experience of scrambling before attempting the Snowdon horse shoe would be a good idea. You need to be able to assess the conditions and the ability of your group before you commit to the scramble . Crib Goch for your first scramble may be quite intimidating and can be a risk for the novice. Its not a great place to realise you don't like heights and exposure. You could do the horse shoe missing out Crib Goch.

I think Mountain rescue still turn out to quite a few people caught out ........

"Terrain:
Ranges from the flagstone-paved Pyg Track and the almost road-like Miner's Track to much steeper and stonier mountain paths, with plenty of exposed grade 1 ridge scrambling. Wet and windy weather can make the crest of Crib Goch feel pretty dicey and bear in mind there are regular accidents here"

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you have to ask - then you ain't ready :)
I have had to rope folk across Crib Goch and have seen accidents there that were not pretty.
Try and get some scrambling experience with an experienced bod first.
In perfect conditions it is a great day - in less than perfect it is not the idea start to scrambling....

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Great advice above, I'd certainly not recommend it for a beginner.
It's a serious undertaking and not the place for the faint hearted. Correct kit and skill set required, and remember, the days are getting shorter.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Thanks for the advice guys. If conditions are bad we will do the horseshoe missing out Crib Goch. Anyway, I will make another post on here letting you know how we got on when I get back, hopefully with some good pictures :)

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
If you are still aiming to do the Crig Goch section my suggestion is to watch the route of those in front of you (there's bound to be some given it is a weekend). The reason is there are a couple of spots during the ascent where the route is fairly ambigous and can catch you out.

Just my twopence worth :)

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
I did Crib Goch for the first time a few months back, but not my first scramble and with someone who had done it before. We caught up with a poor lad who had come with a party; he was terrified of heights and all bar one other lad had buggered off and left them. We ended up staying with them for the main way, helping the guy through. Fair play, he struggled through instead of bailing off down the side, but I can't believe his "mates" left him like that. We caught up with them later, after we parted ways, and they were nearly all in trainers and t-shirts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE