Snow Shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
After all searches on the internet comeing up with nothing useful, can I ask if anybody out there knows where I can get a pair of snow shoes that I dont need a mortgage to pay for and then a second mortgage to pay off the import tax customs will add? :?:

Another ply in the ointment is I need them by February!

Any and all help, links or pointers welcome.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Gary said:
After all searches on the internet comeing up with nothing useful, can I ask if anybody out there knows where I can get a pair of snow shoes that I dont need a mortgage to pay for and then a second mortgage to pay off the import tax customs will add? :?:

Another ply in the ointment is I need them by February!

Any and all help, links or pointers welcome.
hi mate,
how much do you want to pay?
I bought some Alaskan snowshoes from Faber which work great for me.
Check out my pictures here on BCUK there you can see them. I am 185 cm and my weight is 85 kg and they work great for me.
I didn't buy any kind of bindings that saved me some dollars. I made them myself not to be cheap but the self-made are the best you can get, simple and cheap. I got the idea from the book "Winter Wilderness companion", they are made in the style of the first nations. I bought my shoes from a company in germany and they posted them here to sweden.

http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/...4&h_kat=Winterausr%FCstung&u_kat=Schneeschuhe

cheers
Abbe

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I plan to make a pair of Roycrafts once I'm on the ground but I need to get there first!!

Actually making then isnt to problem its finding time and materials!!

Oh and Abbe excellent pictures btw - really good.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
arctic hobo said:
Out of interest (not suggesting you do this Gary) how difficult are they to make? Abbe, yourse look like a fairly simple construction. I've never snowshoed, it looks like it could be good. :biggthump

If you know how to bend wood and have a small workshop at home then you can make them yourself. The bests are made by hand.

At one point I am going too to make my own, here is a link to a book;
http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/snowsho.htm

Here is a link to the english Faber webpage:
http://fabersnowshoes.com/vitrine/fabersite/activeservice?value=home1&stl=en

Guys, dont forget the simple snowshoe Ray is building in his Arctic Survival show. The swedish army teaches them in their survival book.

cheers
Abbe

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Gary, do not get those bear paw snowshoes from ebay. They are completely useless for walking long distances !!!!
The ones that Abbe uses and linked to looks very similar to mine, and even if they are not the same the design is one of the best. Also the ones that Jeff linked to are good.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary a quick translation:

Faber U.S.#9
Large, traditional ash wood beaver tail style for demanding use. They are suitable for deep snow surfaces, relatively open ( i.e. not deep bush!) heavily snow-covered areas and universal snow conditions. Classical models, the first choice for migrations. Raw hide tension[ed]?. 30 x 152 cm. 2.900 g/Paar? without connection.

Recommended weight range (depending upon kind of snow and inclusive backpack!): 80 to 130 kg

They are currently showing availability in calender week 4, i.e. end of January I assume. Delivery within EU inc UK between 5,60*EUR - 15,75*EUR.

Nice looking snow shoes. faber do a guide to snow shoe type here

http://fabersnowshoes.com/vitrine/fabersite/activeservice?value=generic5

What do the Swedish army use?

GL with the search.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Moonraker said:
Gary a quick translation:

What do the Swedish army use?

I emigrated to sweden so I was not here in the army, but what I saw in the army shops are only the small alumin bear pats. They are no good.
The swedish army uses mainly ski, very long and and broad. But I like more snowshoes. (Good onces) :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Abbe Osram said:
I emigrated to sweden so I was not here in the army, but what I saw in the army shops are only the small alumin bear pats. They are no good.
The swedish army uses mainly ski, very long and and broad. But I like more snowshoes. (Good onces) :wink:

cheers
Abbe

Thanks Abbe. I wondered as I had not seen any looking around.

Seems expensive to me. I just picked up a pair of regular snowshoes for the grand-daughter and a really big pair me me - $79 and $89 CAN. Yeah I live in Canada, but I'm as far away from Quebec as most of you.
Bearpaws are for doing jobs on well packed snow.
The problem comes up with just what sort of snow you're travelling on, total weight with pack (although a small toboggan or even a kids sled overcomes pack weight) - and whether you are the poor sucker breaking trail. Around here there's also the factor of super heavy snowfall which covers bushes and leaves air cavities. It's easy to be jogging along nicely on the new smaller high tech snowshoes (which are great) and suddenly disappear. Even the old lampwick bindings still have their place if a person crosses places where they might go through ice.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jeff Wagner said:
I have tried several different snow shoe designs and after falling on my face a few times due to the toes digging in, I am sold on the pointed toe Ojibwa style. They slice through heavy brush with ease. The best shoes I know of come from Williams and Wilcox. http://www.snowshoe.com/Snowshoes/

Jeff, I picked up a pair of these maybe 6 weeks ago. I bought the Ojibwa style. I haven't used them yet but they are exremely well made. I am very impressed with how well they are put together. Unfortunately the snow has not been deep enough around here yet for me to try them out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE