snaring rabbits....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Ed, all your winking is scaring me! :wink:

I thought that would be the case. Perhaps it doesnt allow you to choose if you want to despatch your prey, cos if the snare is thin it will cut the prey, and probably kill it.

I just made my first snare...Measurments are...when the snare is fist width from the top od the noose to the bottom of the "tail" (if you know what i mean) is about 27cm stretched. And about ten inches. is that right? I made it with three wires. It seems sufficient, i cant imagine it cutting a bunny.

Cheers,

Jake

:wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Perhaps it doesnt allow you to choose if you want to despatch your prey, cos if the snare is thin it will cut the prey, and probably kill it.
Recently every rabbit I've caught in an 8 braid snare was dead when I checked the snares..... only twice did they have to be dispatched it by hand

I just made my first snare...Measurments are...when the snare is fist width from the top od the noose to the bottom of the "tail" (if you know what i mean) is about 27cm stretched. And about ten inches. is that right?
As long as you can make a fist size loop/noose (about 10cm diameter) it'll catch a rabbit. I have experimented with minimul length wire ie; 10cm dia loop/noose attached straight to a cord tether, any they seem fine.

I made it with three wires. It seems sufficient, i cant imagine it cutting a bunny.
But would it cut into a deers leg? I'd stick to 6 and 8 braid to stay well within the law.

Ed
(see.... no winks)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
What do you use as a tether Ed?
I have used... a leather thong, paracord, platted garden twine, string, nettle cordage, and probably many more..... but most of all I use wool as it is strong and has alot of stretch in it.

:)
Ed

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Whats the tether for?

It wouldnt cut into a deer either, wouldnt 8 be too thick?

Jake

:wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The tether is how you attach the snare to someting so Mr Bunny doesn't just dissapear off with a nice brass necklace!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh, but isnt the snare attached to a peg stuck firmly into the ground? Or do you then attach the tether to something else as well?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The snare is attached to the tether and the tether is then attached to the peg or whatever. You can go straight from snare to peg but you use more wire that way.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
But what would hold the snare up for the bunny to put its head through? Surely if it was just a bit of nylon cord it would be flat on the ground?

oops,

Jake :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Depends on how and where you site the snare (this is where I wish I could draw a diagram!!!!). You can use small twigs to hold the snare up or atacht he tether to a peg and peg it to the ground but use the free end of the wire loop to support the snare.

Here's an example:

http://www.pcoutfitters.on.ca/snaring a rabbit3.htm

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh! Thats pretty obvious! Cheers Adi

BTW In that photo, he must have a pretty big fist.

Cheers,

Jake :)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thats what i thought, but the snare looks about 4 inches off the ground!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Here's a picture that makes things a little clearer ... notice the support peg at the front of the snare too.
run.jpg

See the run there ... this isn't real (I faked it quickly) but it gives you an idea of how you'd place the snare.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks Adi, i appreciate it!

I see what is needed then, very clear. I wont make my snares so big then, i was under the impression that the snare was attached to a peg but that makes sense!

Cheers

Jake :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
FYI, the snares I'm using there are 8-strand (4-strand folded over). Probably about 14 inches of wire looped.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE