snaring rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
How long you got? LOL Yeah so hunter, i recieved some snares today and was wondering; they are a shiney gold colour, will this put the rabbits off? If so how can i make them more comfortable around the snares.
Could you draw a simple diagram of how the snare should be set up?
Also, would it be best if i put them in the middle of runs or on the edge?
How far off the ground should it be?
How far away should the peg be?
I am going to make my own pegs from branches, will they be strong enough?
Last but not least, if i come across one with mixi's, is it a danger to my health to go handle it? IE pick it up and dispose of it.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
scouser4life said:
How long you got? LOL Yeah so hunter, i recieved some snares today and was wondering; they are a shiney gold colour, will this put the rabbits off? 1)If so how can i make them more comfortable around the snares.
2)Could you draw a simple diagram of how the snare should be set up?
Also, would it be best if i put them in the middle of runs or on the edge?
How far off the ground should it be?
3)How far away should the peg be?
4)I am going to make my own pegs from branches, will they be strong enough?
5)Last but not least, if i come across one with mixi's, is it a danger to my health to go handle it? IE pick it up and dispose of it.

Don't know where my last post ended up?
1) Put them in some horse dung for a day or two, wash and leave in garage.
2) nope, but I can tell you how to set them :) It's most important that you set them in the right place on the run. Take a close look and you'll see 'high' and 'low' patches where the rabbit stops, where the rabbits feet and belly rest. You need to set the snare on a "high" patch, about four fingers high and a fist or so wide. Like everything else luck does play a part, you'll get to know what the rabbits are doing, they might push under the snare or bush it aside, you'll need to be flexible. Anyone who tells you there is a hard and fast rule, hasn't done much snaring.
Some people like to set the snares next to the bury entrance or in front of a run through a hedge, this is because _they_ know the rabbit uses that 'hole', however it is better to set your snare away from these places, on well used runs, may be fifty yards in to the field. In the long run, you'll catch more rabbits.
3) Matters little but if it's too far you'll need "Y" shape twigs to prop the snare up, there are a few names for these and they can be purchased in stainless steel but ash is just as good :rolleyes:
4) How do I know? Some use Alder, some Ash, some Hazel. You can use logs, bricks or anything that will hold the rabbit. Foxes and Hares are better if you use a heavy log.
5) NONE at all!! you could eat the rabbit if you wanted too. You can not catch it! It will only effect rabbits and is transmitted by the rabbit fleas.

HTH

John

CamperPete

Oct 2, 2006
Blackpool, Lancs
Hi John,

I was on a BushCraft course a couple of weeks ago in Preston where we were shown how to make the Dangle, Strangle, Mangle and Tangle traps. (never can remember which way round the list should be :eek: ).

The following day we had to actually make them from scratch.... but only allowed to test settting them off with twigs etc.........except for one stupid, pea brained, imbecile who decided to use their fingers......luckily I didn't lose any!!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

As I'm still a bit of a novice at this myself then any drawing would probably be meaningless to anyone but me.....but once you have the info just keep on practising matey as it ain't half fun to do :You_Rock_

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Hunter_zero said:
5) NONE at all!! you could eat the rabbit if you wanted too. You can not catch it! It will only effect rabbits and is transmitted by the rabbit fleas.

HTH

John
A word of caution when skinning myxi rabbits - be careful when cutting off the feet as one of the lesser known hideous effects of the wicked disease is its debilatating effect on the joints which swell and are often filled with pus. I separate the feet by dislocating and cutting through the joint which will guarantee you a rather unpleasant facial if you are not careful. A rabbit in advanced stages of myxi will very often be poorly nourished and has a rather pale colour to its flesh lacking meat on its thighs. I personally would avoid them but as Hunter_zero says they wont do you any harm if eaten. One point though if when gutting you observe white spotting on the liver discard the animal. This applies to any rabbit Myxi or otherwise and is evidence of a disease called Tularemia which is carried and spread by ticks also known as 'rabbit fever'. This is another reason why rabbit is generally considered a winter food as theoretically the winters of old would kill off ticks leaving the rabbits largely disease free and therefore worth the effort required to catch them!

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i saw a rabbit with mixi the other day trying to cross a dual carrigeway
leon

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
If you do a search here on snaring rabbits there are a couple of nice threads on the subject with some good photos as well.

Mark

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Is there a single, concise, comprehensive online guide to the law on hunting and trapping in the UK? So far I have only come across snippets of advice but nothing complete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE