Snails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
The problem is not so much the bacteria within, because as you say, it gets killed off with cooking. The problem with unpurged snails is if they have been eating some plant that is poisonous to us and it is still in their gut. Cooking won't remove that danger.

Ahh, yes, I can understand that (Now you can see why so many of my posts start with I'm no expert...).

blooming awlfull, thats how they were. yes we cooked them and yes we ate them and yes we vowed never to do it again, yuck!!

the problem is purely getting the gag reflex to hold when you eat them. when you boil em up you end up with a pot full of boiled snotty snails and green waterproof snot/ snot foam ontop of the green snotty water. we tried to change the water several times by heating two mess tins of water and just kept flicking the snails from one to the other when the water went to snotty.

once we have basicly desnotted your snails you then have to make them eddible, so we tried frying them with garlic and butter as if we had started with proper escargo,

we failed, they were eddible but only just

the worst way we also tried was as per limpits , in the sheels and on a fire, that WAS REALY BAD, taste like snott without the taste of the snail, someone elses snot!!!

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
One question that comes to mind from researching hedgehog diets after adopting a hoglet abandoned in my garden is lungworm.
Despite people thinking hedgehogs eat snails and slugs their main diet is actually beetles and they only eat snails etc out of severe hunger.

Now back to the question and research, aparently slugs and snails are carriers of lungworm which is a nasty parasite that can kill hedgehogs, so what are the risks of picking this parasite up and would cooking snails 100% kill possible infestation/eggs?

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I have no ideas as the the OP question. But I did eat 12 snails at a french resteraunt recently and will probably not go to the expense of doing that again. Apparently you can buy a tin for around £1.50, add garlic and butter then sell them on as a 15 quid starter. I closed my eyes and ate the dozen. Never again.

Saying that - Should the need arise I would boil or BBQ them to death and then hapily munch on them, I have ate worse. As for purging, I do it with shellfish suich as winkles (buckies) for a day so doing the same with snails sounds like a good plan unless desperate.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
My experiences with eating agrden snails isn't particularly vast but I have done it and had I done it right I'm sure I would have enjoyed them more.

I was always told to feed them on bread for a few days then starve them so they can pass any nasties they have eaten. then just boil, remove slime, season and eat!

simple and free source of protien! and your veggies won't get destroyed by them either ;)

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Another word of warning. Snails can eat rat poison bait blocks, apparently without ill-effects. I've found snails with their droppings in old bait boxes and the droppings were stained with the dye from the bait blocks. The snails were very much alive. How much anticoagulant remained in the snail i wouldn't like to guess, but it put me off Escargot for good.

Alan

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One question that comes to mind from researching hedgehog diets after adopting a hoglet abandoned in my garden is lungworm.
Despite people thinking hedgehogs eat snails and slugs their main diet is actually beetles and they only eat snails etc out of severe hunger.

Now back to the question and research, aparently slugs and snails are carriers of lungworm which is a nasty parasite that can kill hedgehogs, so what are the risks of picking this parasite up and would cooking snails 100% kill possible infestation/eggs?

Snails are that important to the life cycle of so many parasites they have their own branch of science. Hedgehogs also carry chlamydia, scabies, ringworm and salmonella. Both snails and hedgehogs are alright cooked, but i cant get over the rather gross disease vector thing either.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I've just finished purging some enormous Roman snails. Doused them with salt then boiled them. I'm going to marinade them overnight in garlic and soy sauce then stir fry tomorrow. Free food, what could be better.

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I have no ideas as the the OP question. But I did eat 12 snails at a french resteraunt recently and will probably not go to the expense of doing that again. Apparently you can buy a tin for around £1.50, add garlic and butter then sell them on as a 15 quid starter. I closed my eyes and ate the dozen. Never again.

Not sure which restaurant charged you £15 for an Escargot starter? Maybe MPW's in London but if it came from a tin you were royally mugged off! :yikes:

Si

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
On our last meet up I cooked a snail curry and it wasn't that bad. No problems with slime whatsoever. It's also rubbish that you should use salt to rid the snail of the slime.

[video=youtube;vGqeHLK26_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqeHLK26_Q[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE