Smokey smelling gore-tex jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I came back from a recent trip and my jacket was stinking. I had to give it a good wash to get the smell out. The think is the techwash is not really cheap, also will it do any harm if I am washing the jacket like every other week. I want to clean it but I dont want to wear it out with over washing.

I guess what I am asking is there a cheaper way to wash it without damaging it. Also is it ok to wash it every time I go out.

I dont really want to have 2 jackets, heh.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've found hanging out in the fresh air for a few days will get rid of most of it
Not sure ifhanging it undercover will have the same effect (to protect it somewhat) - probably but might take a little longer to get the desired wiff level.

Mark

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I don't go standing in too many fires, but I only wash my Paramo once or twice a year. If I get a little smokey between whiles I just air the jacket out. In the summer it may only take a day of sun and wind to remove all traces of smoke.

In fact, come to think of it, I rarely am wearing my coat when near a fire, it is not spark resistant, cost a lot, and unless it is really cold, or raining, I feel better in other layers.

As for washing. I don't know, but the Ecover laundry detergent might be worth a look, however, I would not be surprised if the coat needed re-proofing after.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
There are two aspects to consider in washing a gore-tex or similar:

1) Whether the detergent will damage/strip the face proofing on the outer fabric (the surface treatment that makes the water bead up and run off the fabric). This is important because when the face proofing stops working the outer fabric "wets out" and then the gore-tex membrane inside it cannot breathe, because it is effectively trying to breathe through a film of water.

2) Whether the action of your washing process will damage the garment, like whether the protracted action of your washer will abrade the fabric.

Point 1 is the reason why gore-tex should only be washed with a pure soap like Tecwash, as household detergents are generally too strong and will damage or strip the face proofing. The face proofing can be revitalised by applying something like TX10 wash-in, but in my experience it's never as good as the original face-proofing.

Point 2 is more difficult. Machine washing gore-tex is the best way to get it clean (and clean gore-tex works much better than dirty gore-tex, cos it can breathe better) but overwashing will eventually wear the fabric at the usual points (seams, cuffs, etc). Just like washing a shirt too many times will wear out the tips of the collar etc.

For a frequent freshen-up like you describe, where the jacket is smelly but not dirty, I'd be tempted to handwash it with just a little pure soap. This is what I do with my hunting kit when I want to avoid the colour fading and the fragrances and whiteners in household detergents. Remember to rinse it thoroughly or you'll start foaming during the next downpour!

Or, thinking about it, maybe your washer has a freshen up cycle that you could use, like a really short wash cycle. Check the washer's manual.

Hope this helps

Rat

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks for the ideas, I will try them out. It was my fault really, I did not even wear my jacket thet weekend, when I was setting up camp it was at the top of my pack and I just hung it under the tarp out of the way. All weekend long wind blew the smoke under my tarp and over the jacket, as you can imagine, it was very smelly come monday, lol.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm afraid I wouldn't wash out the smell. I would put my head in the jacket and let the smell take me back to the trip and enjoy it all over again! :lmao:

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, I know what you mean. I quite like the smell, its everyone I walked past that seemed to have a problem with it.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
fred gordon said:
I'm afraid I wouldn't wash out the smell. I would put my head in the jacket and let the smell take me back to the trip and enjoy it all over again! :lmao:

Also you might see more wildlife if your human smell is disguised.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
fred gordon said:

Words out of my mouth ;) all of my kit smells smokey an i love it cant keep my face out of it when you first suit up for a trip :D Which reminds me the missus said she washed my softie noooooooooooo hope it still stinks !

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
There is nothing (well, almost nothing, but I'm gonna keep this clean) that smells better than a campfire. They should can the odor as a room spray. If others don't like the smell, their loss.

If, on the other hand, it stinks from the inside out, you know what I mean, that is a horse of a different color, and needs to be fixed asap...

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I don't wash my jackets that smell of smoke,i hang them at the bottom of our stairs so they don't pick up other odours, and the reason for this is that i can approach wildlife without them getting a whiff of human scent. I once had the treat of stalking a deer and having it walk up to about ten feet from me,it went back to feeding as i just stood there watching it,it was quite funny because it kept walking back and forth towards me tilting its head from side to side as if trying to work out what i was,this lasted for about 30mins and was a truly magical experience,i had a great glow all day with the feeling that i was at one with nature,its memories like these that will live with me forever.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Simple method.

Hang garment in shower,
Sponge down jacket with a small amount of baby shampo on a big sponge.
Turn shower on warm/tepid
Wash off.
Dont get inside of jacket wet.
Hang in a breeze to dry.

The sponge most be vitually dry and full of foam, dont get neat shampoo on the surface.

Use boots baby shampo, or similar, because is very pure. You will need less than a quarter of one teaspoon to do an entire jacket and trousers. You dont need masses of foam or saop all you are trying to do is break the surface tension of the small soot particles.

If you cant be bothered to take off your goretex, just shower fully clothed! :lmao:

Sandsnakes

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
On the subject of smells. I've always had this idea that if you could bottle the smell of bog myrtle it would be great as a kitchen and bathroom cleaner. Imagine standing in your kitchen with your smokey jacket on with all the surfaces smelling of bog myrtle! Almost too much to think about!! :lmao:

davef

Forager
Mar 6, 2006
North Lancashire
smelling of smoke certainly beats a friend of mine in Canada, he's into bowhunting and is a bit of a techno-geek. Not content with not washing his kit he goes to the next level and actively sprays it all with deer urine!

neadless to say its not allowed in the house!

My 'tex ponged a bit after a weekend recently but washing with techwash didn't make too much difference - I'd be tempted to just air it out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE