Smith and Wesson SPECLS assisted opening folder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I received a couple of folders to check out this weekend. This is the new Smith and Wesson SPECLS assisted opening folder. It is just over 4 3/4 inches long closed. It has a 3 3/4 inch modified Tanto style blade of 4034 stainless steel that comes out of the box extremely sharp, and has a very sharp tip that should be good for boring holes if needs be. The heavy blade is just over an 1/8 inch thick at the pivot point. It shaves hair and easily cuts webbing and cordage with no effort at all. It has a one inch section of serrations at the ricasso, and has groves on the spine at the base of the blade for more control when doing detailed or tedious work

PICT0226.jpg

SPECLS-2.jpg

PICT0221.jpg

PICT0222.jpg

It has aluminum handle scales with areas of a much textured material that make it very easy to keep a grip on it. Surprisingly these areas are not as rough on the pocket material of my jeans as I expected them to be when using the pocket clip though probably not good for wear with dress clothing. The pocket clip it’s self is bedded into a recess that should prevent any side to side motion causing it to work loose and held in place with three screws.

SPECLS-2.jpg

It has a lever on the back of the handle just above the pivot point of the blade and pulling back on this lever allows the blade to move enough that the assist spring takes over and opens it the rest of the way. It has a good strong spring and crisp opening movement. It has a steel frame and a strong integral liner lock to secure the blade in place once opened. The end of the blade is beveled so that there is a wedging effect as the liner moves into the locked position.

SPECLS-3.jpg

This knife also has a thump actuated locking mechanism that when pushed forward prevents the blade from opening. This should prevent the blade from accidentally opening in your pocket. I have pulled on the blade with this locked and so far cannot force it to open. When in the locked position it will also prevent the blade from closing if the liner lock is accidentally pushed out of place.

CopyofSPECLS-2.jpg

The knife feels good and solid with no looseness or movement at all even after cutting some webbing, and whittling a few points. It is a heavy pocket knife but as stated earlier it is geared toward work not dress.

Very nice indeed :)

Thanks, I think it is going to be a good knife, I am seeing if the modified tanto style blade is easier to work with than a regular tanto. I usually don't go in for tantos any more but the tip looks good for boring holes and having a primary and secondary point can come in handy at times. I often have one hand busy and like the idea of the assisted opening.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
It looks a useful working knife.

OK exposing my own ignorance here... what is "assisted opening"? I am guessing that it might not fit within the law (depending on interpretation) in the UK.
- if it is just your thumb on the stud to open the blade, probably OK
- if there is a spring involved probably not OK

Cheers,
Steve

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I think it is an assisted opening rather than a flick (to do with where the spring is located) so is leagal to own. But I doubt you can think of a good enough reason to carry it, in the eyes of a policeman.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
I think it is an assisted opening rather than a flick (to do with where the spring is located) so is leagal to own. But I doubt you can think of a good enough reason to carry it, in the eyes of a policeman.

What....????

It has a locking blade which is ALSO over 3" long......
I'd have thought this had been covered often enough....

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
What....????

It has a locking blade which is ALSO over 3" long......
I'd have thought this had been covered often enough....

but if you have a good use...

I am a watersports instructor, I teach Sailing, Kayaking, Canoeing & raft building. There are many times when an assisted opening knife would be useful. They where originly used by fishermen to cut nets in an emergancy. I know of an instructor who was once trying to save an unconcouse person who was in the water, with a rope tangled round his leg. He was trying to hold his head above the water with one hand while struggling to get & open his knife with the other. He would probably been glad of it.

I am not talking edc.

but if you have a good use...

I am a watersports instructor, I teach Sailing, Kayaking, Canoeing & raft building. There are many times when an assisted opening knife would be useful. They where originly used by fishermen to cut nets in an emergancy. I know of an instructor who was once trying to save an unconcouse person who was in the water, with a rope tangled round his leg. He was trying to hold his head above the water with one hand while struggling to get & open his knife with the other. He would probably been glad of it.

I am not talking edc.

In looking this same knife is offered in three sizes in all and without serrations as well.

Small with a 2.5 inch bladed

Medium with a 3.1 inch blade

and this largest one with with a 3.7 inch blade

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE