Smart 'phone apps for bushcraft.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
After much cajoling from the family and the gift of his cast off from my grandson, I've finally arrived in the 21st century and have acquired a smart 'phone. I've been playing with it for the last week and am quite impressed by what I can do with it. A small gadget that fits into a hitherto unused specially designed pocket in my kiwi trousers and can can do much of what what my computer, camera and GPS does looks like a winner. I can now catch up with BcUK without having to sit down at a desktop computer.
A trawl through the aps I can get on it looks promising: plant and fungi identifiers, maps, camp site locations and so on. However, the range and extent of things on offer is a bit bewildering, so I'm seeking advice.
What aps do you have that you find useful and would recommend?
Which are the best mapping and GPS aps?
Are there any apps which are best avoided?
What other questions should I be asking?

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Which are the best mapping and GPS aps?
I use maps.me to download and use maps in my smartphone.
Downloaded maps are stored in your phone and can be used with your smartphones GPS without any phone or internet connection whatsoever. Only connection needed is to the GPS-satellites so in a forrest with thick canopy GPS might not work.
And a compass app is usefull too.

Reactions: oldtimer

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I like the OS Maps app as it gives you access to the proper OS topographical maps. This is an annual payment, however.

I also use 'Seek' by iNaturalist, which is useful for scanning foliage and fauna to get an idea of what it might be. I'd never use it for 100% conclusive determinations, but it is usually pretty close even if not spot on.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Have a play with What3Words and see what you think. Not everyone approves of it but I can’t fault it. I use it all the time. Last week I pinpointed my car in a crowded car park. My Amazon courier also uses it. You can pinpoint your tent in a forest and then always find it again.

Definitely put a payment system on there if you feel confident enough to do so. I rarely pull out my real wallet these days. Bank cards, Nat Trust cards are all in the virtual wallet. I can put boarding cards on there too.

What about a star map app. I can see what’s up there even in daytime (as well as what’s underneath me)

I no longer use my laptop. I’ve even written a book on my phone. I use the “Apple Pages” word processing app. Also I create slide shows for talks on it and push them through a projector. I’ve made slides on the fly that include my audience.

Email and a browser of course.

I have tuners and a metronome for my flutes.

I use BBC news and weather as well as Aljezera and Reuters for news.

Kindle linked to my actual kindle.

And loads more.

I don’t have any games but I could have of course.

Of course it will be switched off when you are actually practicing bushcraft.

Last edited:

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
Q1. Is your phone Android or Apple?

My answer is for Android ecosystem. And my answer is only general rather than bushcraft. I’d photograph anything of special interest.

What three words.
This app gives your current position in a ‘proprietary’ code using three simple English words. It’s useful for an “SOS” message as it gives your position within 3 meters. The emergency services love this system because it’s a second source of information as to where a problem might be.

Offline maps and navigation.
Offline maps that work with the built in GPS. It’s a free to use plus it doesn’t need additional data. (Except the 500 MB of maps).

Open Flashlight.
Is a super lightweight app without ads, it turns the LED ‘flash’ on. Giving you a 50lm torch. You would be a better with a real torch rather than messing with your phone. Finding a lightweight app that doesn’t ask for every permission is EXTREMELY difficult.

Postcode.
Reads the postcode based on your GPS location.

QR scanner.
Reads QR codes, it should allow you copy the translated code to the clipboard so you can open the website.

VLC.
The best media player.

ES File explorer.
A slightly trashy, ad loaded powerhouse. ES file explorer puts “the computer” in a mobile phone. This means you can browse your phone, and open your files. Meaning that the terrible 1st party apps (the bloatware) and 3rd party apps (the premium or ad ridden one or service dependant) can be a thing of the past. Manage your phone, and your data as you see fit. It’s some protection from the enshittification of 3rd party ads.

HERE WeGo.
Offline maps that work with the built in GPS. It’s a free to use plus it doesn’t need additional data. (Again, except the 500 MB of maps… and Yes I have two mapping apps).

NoBars.
If a phone management tool for when you are going off grid. If you KNOW you won’t have a signal this tool can tell your phone to calm down and not try to phone home at full power every 30 seconds. This saves A LOT of battery, but isn’t as restrictive as aeroplane/flight mode.

Real uses for a phone:

Signal mirror
Magnet = compass.
Fishing lures
Fire using the battery

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I second the Merlin app for birdsong identification - it is surprisingly accurate.

Seek is OK for identifying wildlife in general but I have found only about 70% accurate - it gives you a good starting point but don't take it as gospel.

I use Memory Map - 50 & 25,000 scale OS - single purchase which I update every few years. I prefer the interface and tools over the OS mapping and I have it across devices - phone, lap top, and pad.

Be wary of any identification apps that use user input for confirmation - if enough users input incorrect data it will bias the results.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Shouldn't need an app for QR codes, Google Lens will figure it out, as well as translating anything you point the camera at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herman30

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
GPS Status shows all satnav satellites, your position, heading, elevation etc. Also shows all sensors that exist on your phone and readings for those.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I like Flora incognita and Plant net for plant identification.
Neither are 100% accurate, but then nor am I! I find if cross reference them I get the right plant.
It's always best to back it up with an actual book.
A bit like map and compass for navigation.
Apps are great and useful, but shouldn't be entirely relied upon.

Reactions: oldtimer and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE