Slow cooked shoulder of venison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guys can I have some ideas on how to slow cook a shoulder of venison on the bone. Temps and times are the main concern, I like it well done.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
Hi SCOMAN, if you're going to slow cook it, then its like a braising process so it'll be well cooked and should fall off the bone, yum yum!! I've cooked Roe shoulders a few times by just putting them in a casserole dish with onions, carrots and any other veg you fancy. Season well and add a half pint of stock, cover with tin foil and cook for 3 - 4 hours at about 160c. You could turn the temp down to 140 and leave it for 5 hours if you like. You'll find that it takes a while to get really tender because their isnt any fat running through it, so dont wory about length of time in the oven. Its great to chuck in the oven and head out for the afternoon.

Cheers

RR

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you mind those old fashioned oval roasting tins with the dimpled lids ?
Morrisons had them in for under a tenner, made from stainless steel. That would work well to keep it cooking long and slow and moist.
Basic times are 20 minutes per pound and 20 minutes just because :), but as Roe Ring recommends, the oven and long and slow and well wrapped up and it'll be excellent. HWMBLT doesn't like his meat pink, he likes it cooked and juicy and tasty and not cheugh, so his venison gets cooked that way too.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. sorry, forgot to add, oven at 180degC for the 20 minutes per pound.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Try adding 100g of dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa) it really deepens the flavour. Honest :)

Edit: I should have said grated - don't just lob in a big dod of chocolate :)

Last edited:

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
EEk not that hot Toddy! :)

I'd say the slower the better certainly no hotter than 160c and for at least 3h 1/2 hrs
Mix up a bit of olive oil with rosemary and garlic and drizzle it on, then wrap in tinfoil and bake as cool (140-160) and as slow as you like.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guys and Gals thanks very much, my brother is over at the minute and hopefully on Sun it'll be a hit

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm veggie Silvergirl, usually the meat gets cooked in the 20mins per pound timings. It needs the 180 to get through to the bone at that kind of timings.
I agree about lower temperature if it's cooked longer though :)

The cat sits watchguard outside the oven when there's meat in it :) and Son2 and I totally lose our appetites :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE