Sleeping Bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi Guys,

I'm new to all this bushcraft stuff, but know I need a fairly decent sleeping bag.
There are so may available, it's baffling. I intend to use it with a Bivi if needed, or maybe on a hammock under a tarp.
Ideally I'd like to use it between say End of April through to End of September in the UK .
A friend has a bag called a Fox 30 which can go down to -30. This is just going to be too much for the summer. He says he just undoes the zip when he get's hot.
Any way one website I looked at had literally 100's.( http://www.outdoorgb.com/c/sleeping_bags_mattresses/ )
Maybe you guys can help me whittle this down with some tips.
I don't really want to spend more than £80 but will do if required.

Thank You
GDB

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I have no idea what bags cost in the UK, but, I have heard softie type bags are good. I personally would recommend a down bag, but, that may be out of your price range. A good bag, rated down to about 20F or so should do you fine. As for a bivvy, I have an older OR one, I'm willing to part with. Let me know.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Big Bad Stu said:
Look at the Snugpack range, they are good value and quality and widely available.

Stewey. :D

I agree, the Softie 10 (Osprey I think!) is a good all round bag which packs down small.
It all depends on how much you intend to spend really.
I have said it before, if you don't want to spend too much you can always pick up an ex army bag for about £20 - 30. and the goretex bivi bag for around the same price aswell.:)

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Thanks Guys.
Looks like Nanok is the way forward seeing as though three of you have recommended these.
I have heard Snugpak have quality issues.

Anyway, not sure whether to buy the nanok 0 or -10.
Given that I'd like this bag to work between End of April through to End of September in the UK, what do you reckon?

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Green Dweller Beloved said:
Thanks Guys.
Looks like Nanok is the way forward seeing as though three of you have recommended these.
I have heard Snugpak have quality issues.

Anyway, not sure whether to buy the nanok 0 or -10.
Given that I'd like this bag to work between End of April through to End of September in the UK, what do you reckon?

I would go for the Nanok -10 mate. It is only £56 delivered on genuine army surplus and considering it is over £100 on some websites its a steal. The Nanok 0 is advertised as a summer bag and end of september can get quite chilly. Think about it this way, if you go for the -10 you can use it virtually all year round whereas with the Nanok 0 you are restricted to certain times of the year.

Jay

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Great GDB. I don't think you will be dissapointed. Check the thread that was started by Aragorn in kit chatter about the Nanok bags. I posted some pics of the Nanok -10 in its stuff sack and there is some great info.

Jay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE