Sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi

I'm new here but have been interrested in bushcraft for a while.

What sleeping bag would you reccommend that I get for all year use, I've already got a therm-a-rest and bivvy bag but need a sleeping bag. My budget will stretch to £100 but I would prefer to spend less.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
Hi Ed and welcome

Sleeping bags.... where to start?

2 main types - down fill or synthetic.

Down will loft more and be warmer weight for weight, but get it wet and it's useless. Tends to be more expensive as well unless you go for surplus - British Army '58 pattern are fine if a bit bulky.

Synthetic doesn't loft as much as down but maintains some of it's insulative properties when wet.

Ideally you don't want to get any bag wet as performance will deteriorate whatever it's made of.

You don't mention where you'll be using the 'bag so I'll assume it's just UK use.

Personally I have 2 - a down bag I got from Karrimor 10 years+ ago. It's rated to -30 which sounds extreme but everyone sleeps at different temperatures and I've used it October to March without being uncomfortable. It packs doen well and lofts like you wouldn't believe.

For the rest of the year I have a Snugpak Softie 3 (I think) :) Used to be the world's smallest / lightest bag, packs up to nothing and weighs 2 lbs. I can increase it's temp range with a thermalon liner, again which packs up small.

Have a think when you're going to use it most, over rate the bag rather than under i.e get something too warm - it's far easier to cool down than heat up.

Finally, when you get to specific models, ask again on here as people seem to have a massive variety of everything (me included, just don't tell the wife!)

Hope that helps, have fun with the forum.

Chris

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the advice CF.

I'll probably get a synthetic so any advice on which to get would be much appreciated.Also I'll be using it mainly Spring to Autumn in the UK.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
Hi Ed,

I got a mountain equipment sleepwalker II a while ago cheap from magic-mountain, as they do out of season and seconds (they'll tell you what's wrong with it). They also do these in mil spec green and they have stretchy knee things which means you can sleep on your stomach and stick a knee out, much more comfortable in IMHO.

You need to phone them though to find out what they've got in stock.

http://www.magic-mountain.co.uk

otherwise they're about £90ish new.

Hope this helps.. :)

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Thanks for your help quiggers had a look at the site. Not bad prices but what are the bags like?

Been looking around and thinking about either an Ajungilak, a Nanok or a Snugpak. Maybe you could help out with info on Snugpak's CH but advice on any of the others would be helpfull. Also could you help out with specific bags.

Cheers.

charliefox

Forager
May 16, 2005
County Durham
I can only comment specifically on the Snugpak Softie 3 "Merlin". They don't appear to make it anymore but I would suggest it equates to the current "Softie Micro" in terms of weight / size and temp performance.

What you have to remember is that you won't be sleeping in your jim jams (I assume :) ) Which means you'll probably still be wearing trousers / t shirt, maybe even a fleece which should help with performance.

The decent manufacturers should give "comfort" ratings in degrees C but that's still an average and not the same for everyone.

The Softie Autumn would be my recommendation. Have a look at it here..Softie Autumn

The site also stocks my old one - the Merlin and the full Snugpak range - seems about the cheapest I've found.

Good luck, you'll need it :D

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Ed W said:
Thanks for your help quiggers had a look at the site. Not bad prices but what are the bags like?

Been looking around and thinking about either an Ajungilak, a Nanok or a Snugpak. Maybe you could help out with info on Snugpak's CH but advice on any of the others would be helpfull. Also could you help out with specific bags.

Cheers.
I have a snugpak softie 3 which is roomy ( and it has to be for me, I put the X in XL!) but unless as has been suggested, you sleep dressed it could be a bit nippy in the early spring and late autumn, although for room and it's small packed size I love it.
I also have the Mountain Equipment Sleepwalker and although bulkier and more expensive, it will see you through colder nights. In fact I kept it in preference to a nanok and although the Nanok was probably going to be warmer it was too snug by far and felt like being in a body bag compared to the size and elasticated bits of the ME bag.
If I was buying from scratch and had to choose from the three, then the ME bag would be the one as long as the price was within budget.
There, that's my the ha'pence worth.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Ed W said:

Cheers.
As Stuart said "there are lies, damn lies, then there are snugpaks's hopelessly optimistic temperature ratings". And he's absolutely right. I've found snugpaks to be poorly designed bags, and I've tried many of their models.
Both Ajungilak (now owned by Mammut, who also make good gear - they're everywhere in the Alps) and Nanok make excellent bags. I am a Nanok man, more accurately, I am a walking Nanok advert, but that's because they are the best sleeping bags ever. So there. I'd very strongly recommend the Endurance series, there are no cold spots, no glue (so you can machine wash at 60), they zip together for sharing warmth, you can wear your boots in the bag, the star feature is armholes for the morning when you really don't want to get out of the bag, you can eat breakfast still in it. I could go on all day, about how the temperature ratings are dead on (I've used my -25 model below -25 and been absolutely fine, which compared to most bags is unbelievable), easy access, etc etc. Buy one :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE