sleeping bag or blanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The british coast, probably get decapitated in wheen I get to leeds or something by the cia pretending to be civillians

Give yer head a shake.....an don't forget your armadilo hat.....
4e90bb59-e469-a9c2.jpg

You'll only get bothered in Leeds if your sleeping in a man utd kip bag :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think this thread is slightly nuts, but yes - the down quilt has been where it's at on the ultralight scene in the US for a while now. Combines insulative power of a sleeping bag with the rapid-escape facility of a blanket. Just Google 'backpacking quilt'.

Forgive me, but I wonder whether a couple of shorter trips to try out sleeping bags and blankets mightn't be a good idea? I've done quite a lot of coast path, and 2500 miles is a fair old whack, especially in 85 days.

I'd second the advice given. As for being bothered by other people, I think you don't have the time ... With such a distance you'll be walking for a good 9.5 hours a day, (more than a marathon) every day - almost 3 month on end - and that's without breaks / stops for a pee, rest, eat or drink.

Muchos respectos for you though :notworthy ......

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I use both but my favorite when im sleeping next to the fire is my dutch wool blanket stitched up the side and the bottom folder double and stitched to keep me toes warm and this id say is nearly twice as warm as just sleeping under a blanket but i dont have to worry about sparks

rg598

Native
Like others have said, basic questions about sleep systems should be worked out long before undertaking a 2500 mile trip, and it should be done through experience on shorter trips.

That being said, a sleeping bag will offer much greater insulation for the weight than a blanket. If you are that worried about escaping from your bag, just don't zip it up, or get a sleeping bag designed for that sort of thing. The US MSS is designed to have the zipper open when the bag is pulled open. If it is good enough for combat, it will probably serve you fine.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like others have said, basic questions about sleep systems should be worked out long before undertaking a 2500 mile trip, and it should be done through experience on shorter trips.

That being said, a sleeping bag will offer much greater insulation for the weight than a blanket. If you are that worried about escaping from your bag, just don't zip it up, or get a sleeping bag designed for that sort of thing. The US MSS is designed to have the zipper open when the bag is pulled open. If it is good enough for combat, it will probably serve you fine.

Actually the tech order says not to zip it in a combat zone.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Worrying about getting a rapid-egress model of bag seems to me to be missing the point slightly. You aren't going into a warzone, despite what you might read in the redtops. Coast path walking is a very particular blend of wild & urban, but it's mostly wild(ish), and there's no need to overnight in urban areas with proper planning.

Out of many many nights on the trail in normal countryside, and even a few in urban parks, I've only met people while camped a handful of times. I've had a few weird experiences - the couple of social-workers who were offfering help were fun - but never had a confrontation. On the contrary, I've made a few friends.

I don't think new kit - tactical sleeping bags or anything - is the answer to this (it rarely is!), but rather an attitudinal shift, and simply putting in the time to gain confidence.

There are plenty of people here with experience of stealth-camping in relatively populous areas. It would be interesting to hear some experiences.

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
Blankets/duvets are designed for comfort, sleeping bags are designed to maximise the insulation for a given weight/volume - if you're going anywhere that needs much insulation and you're carrying it then I'd always go for a sleeping bag.

Duvets are great if camping from the car though!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... There are plenty of people here with experience of stealth-camping in relatively populous areas. It would be interesting to hear some experiences.

About ten years ago when I worked in London on a one-month computing contract for a famous Internet holiday company I camped in north London from mid-July to mid-August. There was a row of houses on one side of an unmade road and a small copse on the other. I pitched my tent in the copse and left it there while I was at work all day. the only real problem I had was the bloomin' mosquitoes. Never saw a soul in my camp. When I get a minute I'll try to find the location on one of the mapping sites (if I can still remember where it was) and post it up. It was walking distance from a tube station near the end of the Northern Line, there was a Waitrose near the station if that helps anybody recognize it.

Last year I bivvied a couple of hundred yards from the entrance to the docks at Calais.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...862142&spn=0.003716,0.006791&t=k&z=17&vpsrc=0

The main problems there were getting the FJR in the available space and then hiding it. :)

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
What film was this from ? Been thinking about it but but cannot remember. The image made me laugh when I saw it. Nice one Chiseller.

Give yer head a shake.....an don't forget your armadilo hat.....
4e90bb59-e469-a9c2.jpg

You'll only get bothered in Leeds if your sleeping in a man utd kip bag :D

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
The newer dukes of hazard.....I never tire of it.....infact I'm thing going to watch it agin toneet ......that's my buddy sheev in the pic :thumbup:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE