Sleeping bag length

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
I've just been into our local Outdoor shop which has a sale and I've seen a Vango sleeping bag I like. However, it also comes in a short variant, which is no cheaper, but is 500gms lighter. The shorter one is 190cms. I am 165 cms short, so I imagine it will fit, but I'd like to be sure before I buy. Is there any measure of how long your sleeping bag should be relative to your height?

Weight is an important consideration for me, I really have to struggle to pack everything and keep my pack at the requisite 25% of body weight for long treks.

Thanks in advance,
Mal

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
MalIrl said:
I've just been into our local Outdoor shop which has a sale and I've seen a Vango sleeping bag I like. However, it also comes in a short variant, which is no cheaper, but is 500gms lighter. The shorter one is 190cms. I am 165 cms short, so I imagine it will fit, but I'd like to be sure before I buy. Is there any measure of how long your sleeping bag should be relative to your height?

Weight is an important consideration for me, I really have to struggle to pack everything and keep my pack at the requisite 25% of body weight for long treks.

Thanks in advance,
Mal

I think the shorter one will work perfect for you mate. Not familiar with the Vango bags - so someone out there could point you to some specific points of attention about length advice etc.
Personally I have a 215 cm long bag, which is ideal for my 192 or 193cm (I found out it varies :eek: ;)). IIRC the general rule is to add about 30 cm to your height to get your ideal bag size.
Now I'm thinking about it, there is also a "movement" of outdoorsie people who use bags that are very near their body size, to prevent you (and/or your bag) suck cold air in when you move around in cold conditions - Which ain't fun when you're nice and toastie ...

Using the latter method of bag sizing doesn't allow you to take (much) of clothing in the bag (for storage / warmth / drying etc.)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Ask the shop staff if you can get in it and try it for size, I've done it several times, as long as you take your footwear off and your not wearing your scankiest work overalls their should not be a problem.

If they won't let you, shop somewhere else ;)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
If a bag has proper insulation and cover cloth cold air should hardly be slipping in! You need room in a bag to create the same warm air pocket layering loosefitting winter clothing accomplishes. Inadequate footroom is actually a defect in most commercial offerings allready. It's akin to clothing makers who market shirts with barely enough material to stuff inside your trousers and cover that pretty watch. Remember that materials cost money and the bean counters will squeeze 12 bags out of raw materials properly needed for 10. If anything, i'd go for a longer bag and to hell with some magic 25% body weight figure. If you find some hidden treasure of monastic gold and illustrated books poking out of a bog are you going to cut the margins off the book and test for titanium coins? A bags to critical to be cutting corners AND temperature ratings in the real world. theres going to be a whole lot of cold ultralight mendicant monks passing for hikers squeezing into these cocoons :eek:

MalIrl

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
West of Ireland
Thanks for the comments, lads. I reckon I'll go in and try before I buy.

Chris, this bag has the same Comfort/Extreme rating as the long one and is not really in the Ultralight class - so I don't think I'll freeze for the want of some extra insulation! I take your point about the weight, but I've also proved this figure with experience. In truth I could travel lighter if I was on my own, but I'm a scout leader and thus usually end up carrying some extras for the group. In such situations every half kilo does matter!

Slán
Mal

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE