skip finds!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
hi all, whilst out driving my works van i noticed a skip at the side of the road with various household items inside.
on closer inspection i noticed a green rucksack sitting on top of the pile so i had a quick nose and noticed the rucksack was an old karrimor jaguar 75!
i quickly tracked down the lady who was renting the skip and she told me i was welcome to have a rummage through and take what i wanted as she was running out of space.
anyways i came away with the rucksack, an optimus fuel bottle, and a rab down filled sleeping bag.
DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It never ceases to amaze me, what otherwise perfectly sensible,lucid, even intelligent people, will throw away!:togo:

I also love a scrat in a skip, it's just a shame they don't have transparent sides;)

cracking finds, well done

atb

R.B.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good finds there.
Skips are great. I once got enough laminate flooring out of one to lay my whole front room in my last house. It looked spot on and helped to sell it on :)

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
I believe that legally anyone is entitled to take anything from a skip without asking permission??

I once turned up at a house to collect a free load of pavers for my allotments and spied a wooden fireplace surround in a skip on the road. I asked the lady if I could take it before the skip was taken away. My mate who was with me could not believe it, it is a Victorian hand carved surround and absolutely beautiful. Regards, Geoff.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
One persons trash is anothers treasure... Good find there, those sacks are good workhorses !! and try getting anything with a RAB label for under a ton ??

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i love skips my mates disown me if i look in any what a find you lucky t*@t regards dave

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm awaiting clarification, but as i understand it, what ever is in the skip still belongs to the original owner, and you have to ask permission, I'll post when i get an answer.

awsome finds there.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I believe that legally anyone is entitled to take anything from a skip without asking permission??
I believe that to be wrong!

To remove items placed in a skip may result in a prosecution under the Theft Act.

Obtaining consent ensures that no such offense takes place.

It is also good manners.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I recall reading a post ( could have sworn it was on BcUK but maybe not ) from a policeman or a retired one. Who said thhe question of skips was used to test them in their understanding of laws, he was probably talking about probies (probationary policeperson)? The question was what was the crime, if any if someone other than the owner or renter of a skip put something into it? The answer was 'theft' theft of the space which the renter had paid for. Now obviously I don't know if this is correct, but found it interesting.

I'd agree with the above post, just because something is put outside in a skip, does not make it a free for all, if that were the case, anything left outside could be taken to be free, including cars.. :D However, in the case of skips I'd guess that all thats happening is the transfer of ownership of whatever is inside it, from the renters to the skip owner.? Some time served police peoples may be about on the forum to give a better, much more accurate answer though?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
From what I can gleen from a friend, if you take something out of a skip without the permission of the person who put it there it is theft, even if you approach the owner/hirer of the skip and they didn't put it in there it is then theft by finding, the only greyish area would be who you would pay compensation to, person who put item in skip, or the company owning the skip, this is still just an opinion.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great finds there Robbi, had a few things myself over the years (Victorian pee pots, sowing machine, books) but my step dad was the lucky one; in his 70's and living in London back in the 80's and 90's he would take home things like car radios/cassette players and TV's from skips and would repair them at home and sell them on in the local free adds (he was an old time radio ham).

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a friend called who used to drive a skip lorry for many years.
He was always looking for things, one day when he had dumped his load at a council tip he saw a paper bag, now considering that the skip only contained bricks and rubble he kicked the bag to see what was inside, he quickly picked it up as he said the guy who worked on the tip was approaching, when he got home he counted out what he found and it was £530 in old notes.
Now that is lucky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE