Sissy Sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think it was the lack of scale and the previous topic that got me bemused :eek:
I know of them as where the female dog sits, iimmc :dunno:

The fore-shortening did for me, I couldn't find a context to fit it into :eek: .
I suspect that we know it as similar names ;) , pillion being the pitch and the hold / bar being the hitch.

... Coggle.........rocks and wobbles :D

Borrowed on a permanent basis :D .

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I had to go and google sissy bar :rolleyes:

:D I could not work out what the hang those wierd metal things were supposed to be useful for :dunno: I thought, "Get it wrong and that's one stuffed edge on the axe :rolleyes:" ...:eek: :eek: and, "Damned queer fireforks thon!" :eek: :eek: :eek:

M

:lmao:Brilliant! hahaha its normally Your forays into google really brighten an evening Mary, not your thoughts before:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought only doric speakers still used coggle.

I reckon Doric and Lallans are the same thing just with a different accent :D

Coggley or coggely........like a cafe table that rocks and threatens to spill your coffee in your lap, or a vase teetering at the edge of the shelf, or an unstable stepladder, or a log that refuses to stay upright :D It coggles.
Good word :D

Sorry Southey :eek: I have a butterfly mind :rolleyes:

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:rofl: :rofl:

I quoted something in the Mods the other night when I was being teased about my Scotticisms. I'd used the word jiggered, honestly thinking it was English :eek:

They took nae pains their speech to balance,
Or rules to gie;
But spak their thoughts in plain, braid lallans,
Like you or me.

—Robert Burns in Epistle To William Simson

"What tongue does your auld bookie speak?"
He'll spier; an' I, his mou to steik :
"No bein' fit to write in Greek,
I wrote in Lallan,
Dear to my heart as the peat reek,
Auld as Tantallon.
—Robert Louis Stevenson in "The Maker to Posterity"

We've come intil a gey queer time
Whan scrievin Scots is near a crime,
'There's no one speaks like that', they fleer,
-But wha the deil spoke like King Lear?

M

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My nan (grandmother) used to say "jiggered", usually in the sense of "Well, I'll be jiggered" as an expression of great surprise.

She wasn't Scots at all, but Welsh, from Ebbw Vale.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, we use as being exhausted, worn out, tired. "I'm jiggered", is the description of how I feel after I've spent a day digging. Not worth a shirt button to do anything else.
I thought it was originally a sailor's word for worm eaten timbers. Looked fine on the outside but weak and gone to sawdust on the inside.

Sorry Gary, we've taken your thread totally OT :eek: :eek:
M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ah, we use as being exhausted, worn out, tired. "I'm jiggered", is the description of how I feel after I've spent a day digging. Not worth a shirt button to do anything else.
I thought it was originally a sailor's word for worm eaten timbers. Looked fine on the outside but weak and gone to sawdust on the inside.

Sorry Gary, we've taken your thread totally OT :eek: :eek:
M

Now that I'm prompted, yes, mine used it that way too.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Well, I think that whoever came up with the name sissy stick is an ijit - it'll just discourage others from using it, unneccesarily.

I've just realised I use a sissy stick variant when hammering in small nails - push the nail through a bit of paper to hold it in place and save my finger and thumb! :D

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
i use the sissy stick method althought it was called a suicide stick when mesquite showed/explained it to me

Southey i was on a campcraft course when an individual managed to stick himself in the back with a SFA using the method you describe, neither the instructors nor us other students really understood how he did it (luckily he missed his spine when he did it but it did give the rest of us students a longer lunch break that day.) whilst this was a student it can demonstrate the potential risk of that technique (not trying to cause a disagreement just adding to the conversation :))
As an aside the student came back after his trip to A & E and completed the rest of the course-apart from anything that was deemed might pull on the stitches, he got quite a bit of teasing the rest of the week

Wow! That's quite impressive!!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well, I think that whoever came up with the name sissy stick is an ijit - it'll just discourage others from using it, unneccesarily.

I've just realised I use a sissy stick variant when hammering in small nails - push the nail through a bit of paper to hold it in place and save my finger and thumb! :D

That's a neat idea for hammering small pins and tacks which can be a pain.

I'll have to remember that one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE