Single Bevel Grind?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
Hi there,

I'm about to start work on my second home made knife, have ordered the steel and am looking into different grinds.
The other knife was a scandi grind, and I remembered that years ago I had a knife with a single bevel grind (no, not a Japanese kitchen knife) and I LOVED it, but I never used it in a bushcraft scenario.

Does anyone know anything about how this grind performs out in the field?

You may well be asking 'why bother?', Well why not? By my reckoning a single bevel grind would be easier to do, and easier to maintain, and if it does turn out to be rubbish I thought I could put a backbevel on it and try again, and if that turns out to be rubbish too, I'll let you all know. But It'll be fun trying.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
My EDC folder (Heinnie's link: http://www.heinnie.com/-UK-Legal-Ca...s/Columbia-River-Slip-KISS-II/p-641-649-5270/) is a single bevel grind and while it's very easy to make it wickedly sharp it doesn't hold that edge particularly well. It's a bit better since I put a microbevel on the opposite side to the main bevel (I realise that means it's no longer a true single bevel) and it could always be that the knife isn't as hard as it could be, so your results might vary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE