Singer needles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi guys,

I have a Singer 201k foot treadle machine from the 50s and would like to get some leather and canvas needles to give it a try. I hand sew everything at present, but it would be nice to be able to offer machine stitching to those who want it.

Could anyone recommend an online supplier of leather and canvas needles for this machine? Also, if you could suggest sizes and types as well as thread types you recommend I would greatly appreciate it.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hi,

I have been using 110 (18) size denim needles for sewing 15 oz canvas mostly with success - but I am a sewing machine newbie.

I bought some needles from this supplier on eBay recently and they arrived the very net day even though I didn't order before 12 o'clock - nor did I pay for first class postage!
These were 110 (18) size leather needles (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291353630016)

I believe a size 100-110 (16-18) needle is what you are after (depending on the thickness of your fabric and weight of thread), and the leather needle will differ from the denim needle as it has a chiselled point to cut through the leather - like an awl would

For canvas you will want perhaps denim needles probably around the 110 (18) size again.

I have been using Bonded Nylon thread of a size 40s or 60s, I believe bonded nylon is the thread most people use on here for sewing canvas and leather with sewing machines.

Again, I have been using eBay for most things sewing machine because it seems to have the widest variety of options - although is a pain to find the right stuff

I bought the thread from this seller as a big spool http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/associated_yarns

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
This is great, thanks guys.

I sew everything by hand as it is, so I'm not looking to go away from that. Leather is generally saddle stitched and I use the traditional sailors methods and stitches for canvas. The machine definitely isn't going to replace this, I just think it might be nice to offer machine stitching for lighter projects as an alternative to those who wish it.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi hibrion....schmetz....size 16 (they do them in canvas and leather....buy a pack of each at 2 quid a pop) with gutermann upholstery thread....on leater/canvas 8 to 10 stitches per inch....this is what macaroon/bilmo/twodogs/turbogirl/that fenna bloke etc taught me and its not disappointed so far...

s

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, Angst. Everyone seems happy with Schmetz. I think I'll do as you say and have a give this machine thing a try. My old hands might thank me for it sometime. Sewing an 18oz ditty bag by hand can take its toll. I am, however, a complete noob to machines, so any tips are most welcome :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You won't have any trouble at all getting the hang of the 201; as with all these things, the most important aspect is having a feel for the materials you're using for your projects and you clearly have that from all the hand stitching you've done in the past. I'd advise you to get some old sheets and curtains and just run through some really long seams just to get the hang of the foot treadle side of it; most people get the hang of it quickly, and some say that it gives the best control of all the different machines. You can get up a fair lick of speed with these! Oh, and you needn't worry about breaking anything on the machine, if you can fit it under the foot and get it started and you're using Schmetz needles to suit the job, the machine will either do the job or stop. The most important thing with these is to get the hang of starting the seam with assistance from the hand wheel and
then taking the momentum on the foot treadle.

Sonni (Angst) is the living proof of just how quickly you can knock out first-rate work with the 201, like yourself he had the "feel" thing going already and he was on the case in two shakes of a lamb's tail :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE