Simple Prehistoric Bowmaking, help please gents?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Hello,

I'm handy with steel and spanners, it's what I do for a living. But for a while I've wanted to make myself a bow. I really enjoy using traditional skills, methods, tools and materials. I really enjoy history, especially my local history which includes some of the first people to cross "doggerland" and end up on what is now the shores of Norfolk.

I'd like to make myself a traditional prehistoric or early warbow. Ideally it would probably be whatever came before the longbow which we all recognize.

I'm no archer, bowyer, fletcher or carpenter, so please forgive me for my ignorance.

Where do I start, what do I need, etc?

Thankyou very much. :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi. Get yourself a piece of ash. Draw a bow shape. Chop away till its looks like a bow. Then bend slowly on a tiller stick. If it's too stiff take a little off return to tiller. Continue till bow is bending beautifully.

Read bowyers bible volume 1&2.

Wow I managed to condensed 3 day bow making course. Be bold in the beginning towards the end mm count

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I would suggest you get yourself over to

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/board,2.0.html

for a good browse..and then search for "stellmoor" or "stone tool", or "Holmegaard", for example. The guys on there are really very helpful and produce some fantastic bows. But like Wayne (and myself), they will certainly suggest "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible", vols 1 and 2 at least, and vols 3 and 4 if you get into it. Other helpful books include "The Traditional Archer's Handbook" by Hilary Greenland, and "The Bent Stick" by Paul Comstock. All worth a good read.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like the Mere Heath design for a primitive bow design. One of the first bows I made was this design from Ash. It has wide limbs about 2.5" wide for about two thirds the length then tapering to half inch pin nocks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE