Simple leather-bound journal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
When I say 'leather', it's actually made from camel hide which I picked up from the local tannery for nothing.
I followed a pattern shown on Kirsty Allsop's traditional crafts TV show, and while it's a bit rough around the edges, I'm fairly pleased with it - enough to try again to perfect my simple bookbinding skills.
My plan is to make a few for Christmas gifts for next year, with a variety of fasteners and possibly some embossing.

imag0138j.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

imag0139je.jpg

imag0140w.jpg

As I say, fairly simple style but the worn camel gives it a nice lived-in look and as a prototype it's not bad. Next time, though, I'll use a better quality paper - the copier paper is too thin.
Steve

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That looks good to me!
I have to ask ... camel... local tannery... GLASGOW?
Did they mug the nativity scene in the church?

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
John, I know it sounds mental but they had all sorts of scraps of skins from all over the place and I just happened to like the colour of the camel.
I'm going to head back there soon to see what else I can pick up; fancy a bit of moose or maybe even wombat!
All the best for the New Year,
Steve

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
John, I know it sounds mental but they had all sorts of scraps of skins from all over the place and I just happened to like the colour of the camel.
I'm going to head back there soon to see what else I can pick up; fancy a bit of moose or maybe even wombat!
All the best for the New Year,
Steve

That is nice indeed. I may have to drop in next time I am your way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE