Simple Bannock help needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am looking for the simplest Bannock mix known to man!

Will self raising flour and milk powder do the trick? (With added fruit etc when available)

i am hopeing to get my explorers to do this at some point so I can't emphesise the Simple part enough!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have used just the self raising flour mixed with water, make a long thin sausage shape wrap it round a stick and bung it over the fire. Mix it in a butty bag so it keeps your hands clean. The explorers did this easily and liked it with a little butter on. Mixed fruit was nice mixed in too.
Try Fenlanders Egg in a baked spud, they go down well too.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks for that!

Looking for something to bake in a billy though

Edd in a spud is always a winner ;)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ogri the trog said:
Don't forget the other favourite;
Core an apple, stuff with raisins, cover in foil, bake in the embers - hot, sweet and smells divine.

ATB

Ogri the trog

LOL shgould not be talking about this at lunch time!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're probably swamped with recipes by now, but I teach kids this one.

Easiest bannock recipe is 3;2;1
3 of flour (self raising makes it easy)
2 of dried milk
1 of fruit (fresh or dried), or meat (cooked) or veg(cooked or cut very small, fried onions and grated cheese are good :D

Add a little salt if using savoury, or spice iif using fruit, and a heaped T spoonful of baking powder per cupful of flour.
Mix all of the dried stuff together, add the extras and make a well in the centre of the pile, dribble in water and cut and stir using a knife to mix. It's less mess than hands and easier to scrape off than a fork or spoon. Makes bannock bread, dampers, twists or even crust to wrap around something like the contents of a tin of corn beef.
Can be cooked in billy's, on a girdle on a greenstick or a hot stone or wrap up in foil or big leaves like coltsfoot, bramble or mallow, or in a mat made from rushes, and bury in the ashes.

Cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: Pignut

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Toddy said:
You're probably swamped with recipes by now, but I teach kids this one.

Easiest bannock recipe is 3;2;1
3 of flour (self raising makes it easy)
2 of dried milk
1 of fruit (fresh or dried), or meat (cooked) or veg(cooked or cut very small, fried onions and grated cheese are good :D

Add a little salt if using savoury, or spice iif using fruit, and a heaped T spoonful of baking powder per cupful of flour.
Mix all of the dried stuff together, add the extras and make a well in the centre of the pile, dribble in water and cut and stir using a knife to mix. It's less mess than hands and easier to scrape off than a fork or spoon. Makes bannock bread, dampers, twists or even crust to wrap around something like the contents of a tin of corn beef.
Can be cooked in billy's, on a girdle on a greenstick or a hot stone or wrap up in foil or big leaves like coltsfoot, bramble or mallow, or in a mat made from rushes, and bury in the ashes.

Cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for that!! :You_Rock_

Cant wait for camp this W/E now,

Infact, might give this a try tonight!

Mmmmm wild garlic and cheese!?!?!?!?!?!?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Little balls of the stuff work in stews and soups as doughballs ( dumplings) , too.
If you slice the ransomes leaf very finely, and stir it through the dough, it works well too, but it doesn't taste anywhere near as strongly as it smells.

Cheers,
Toddy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Toddy said:
Little balls of the stuff work in stews and soups as doughballs ( dumplings) , too.
If you slice the ransomes leaf very finely, and stir it through the dough, it works well too, but it doesn't taste anywhere near as strongly as it smells.

Cheers,
Toddy

What about the root?

Will that be any stronger?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't find it so, it's a scrawny little thing anyway. Ransomes really need something that'll help 'hold' the flavour. You'll certainly get some in the bannock, but egg works better for them, or in a stir fry. Match posted some recipes using them not so long ago. A little mustard powder or nutmeg will enhance the cheese flavour nicely.

Cheers,
Toddy...who's just *had* lunch and now wants more :eek:

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I have made a sweet Bannock a couple of times on an open fire and on one occaision using the smaller pan from the Swedish Army trangia (Even Tony, yes Tony from BCUK liked it :D ).

Recipes change and you will no doubt experiment to find your favourite... i do have a tip though...It seems that no matter how careful i am i ALWAYS put just a bit too much liquid into the premix which means that i can't get quite the right consitancey prior to cooking.....here's the tip....

Take a bit of spare flour with you so that you can undo the mistake you will make with too much liquid :)

Hmmmnn Bannock :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE