Silly amounts of strawberries.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mind when we were little ? and the games we played segued in and out of season, and the foods too ?
Every blooming supermarket in the land has all the foods all the time now, but see this forum ? it brings back the seasonality of grub :D
We're all in the notion for strawberries now, and they're in their right season :D and very much to be encouraged :D

cheers,
Toddy.....off to work out just what a 'stick' of butter is, and how much is 2 quarts in UK measurements :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bold is my translation of the ingredients :) Thank you for the recipe Santaman2000 :D

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler

1 stick ( 1/2 cup) butter (100g will do fine, should be 113.4g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk (225ml of milk)
1 cup all-purpose flour (150g plain flour)
1 cup sugar (200g sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 quarts whole strawberries, capped and washed (2 loosely packed litres worth of hulled strawberries)
4 ounces cream cheese, cut in small pieces (120g of cream cheese, cut into small pieces )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour directly over the butter in the baking dish, but do not stir.

Add the strawberries, arranging in a single layer as much as possible. Sprinkle cream cheese pieces over strawberries. Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbling. (Crust rises up and around the fruit, but fruit will still peek out of top.)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mind when we were little ? and the games we played segued in and out of season, and the foods too ?
Every blooming supermarket in the land has all the foods all the time now, but see this forum ? it brings back the seasonality of grub :D
We're all in the notion for strawberries now, and they're in their right season :D and very much to be encouraged :D

cheers,
Toddy.....off to work out just what a 'stick' of butter is, and how much is 2 quarts in UK measurements :D

A "stick" of butter is just that: one stick. LOL. Butter here is normally sold in a one pound box wich has four individually wrapped "sticks" in it. Therefore a stick is:
1/4 pound = 4 ounces by weight) = 8 tablespoons (melted)

A quart (US) = 32 fluid ounces (or about .83 Imperial quart) In both cases they refer to a quarter of a gallon.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bold is my translation of the ingredients :) Thank you for the recipe Santaman2000 :D

Strawberry Cream Cheese Cobbler

1 stick ( 1/2 cup) butter (100g will do fine, should be 113.4g)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk (225ml of milk)
1 cup all-purpose flour (150g plain flour)
1 cup sugar (200g sugar)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 quarts whole strawberries, capped and washed (2 loosely packed litres worth of hulled strawberries)
4 ounces cream cheese, cut in small pieces (120g of cream cheese, cut into small pieces )

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together the egg, milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour directly over the butter in the baking dish, but do not stir.

Add the strawberries, arranging in a single layer as much as possible. Sprinkle cream cheese pieces over strawberries. Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbling. (Crust rises up and around the fruit, but fruit will still peek out of top.)

Yeah a half cup of butter is right. HERE! Your cups are bigger though; a US cup is only 8 ounces and an Imperial cup is 10.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, but your gallon is different from ours :D and we don't use pounds and ounces any more. Our butter comes in 250g packs.....that's just on 8.82 ounces.
Actually, it's a bit out, but not that bad for many things....half a pack of butter = one generous American stick of butter.

Funny old world :rolleyes:

:D
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........and my elderly relations recipe books use teacups for measurements :) seriously, a standard china teacup :) None of this mug rubbish.

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Aye, but your gallon is different from ours :D and we don't use pounds and ounces any more. Our butter comes in 250g packs.....that's just on 8.82 ounces.
Actually, it's a bit out, but not that bad for many things....half a pack of butter = one generous American stick of butter.

Funny old world :rolleyes:

:D
M

Yeah. Truth be told, your conversions upped everything but only slightly, and more or less still in the same proportions.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I searched about eight different sites trying to suss that lot out :/
Every blooming one's different.
What is it they say about a common language that still confuses both sides ?

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Aye, but your gallon is different from ours :D and we don't use pounds and ounces any more......

I expect your measuring cups are probably like ours (showing metric on one side and ounces on the other?

Yeah, our gallon is smaller. I believe that starts with the "cup." If you follow it up from there:
a) 2 cups = a pint. Your pint is proportionately bigger (20 ounces vs our 16)
b) 2 pints = a quart. Your quart is likewise proportionately bigger (40 ounces vs our 32)
c) 4 quarts = a gallon. Likewise your gallon proportionately bigger (160 ounces vs our 128)

All of them are exactly one forth larger than ours (or ours are exactly one fifth smaller than yours)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I searched about eight different sites trying to suss that lot out :/
Every blooming one's different.
What is it they say about a common language that still confuses both sides ?

M

The ironic part is that way, way back (in the early 1780s) the congress almost made metric our standard system of measures; BUT! They didn't because great Britain was still out biggest trading partner and y'all were still on the imperial system.

S1lver

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2013
Windsor
That looks familiar!
I'm currently on about ten kilos with more to come. So far it's,all been eaten fresh or turned in to a good years worth of jam.
Interested in the dehydrator, any advice I certainly on what to get and how to do it?

Cheers

Steve

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :D I got so frazzled trying to suss out quarts....SM2K is right, but his American gallon was as specified in Queen Anne's time, while ours was latterly on Wm3rd's, something to do with making wet and dry the same.

I still don't get it; if we can go metric, why can't America ? at least their money has always been 100 to 1.
I reckon over half of primary schooling when I was little was in arithmatic simply to be able to calculate everyday items and money. Decimalisation is a breeze :D

.......and 350F is just shy of 180degC.

atb,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thank you :D I got so frazzled trying to suss out quarts....SM2K is right, but his American gallon was as specified in Queen Anne's time, while ours was latterly on Wm3rd's, something to do with making wet and dry the same.....

Yep. It's ours where wet and dry are the same. Well sorta. In both US and Imperial, 1 ounce of pure water = 1 ounce in weight.

But it's our smaller measure where the saying, "A pint's a pound" is true. Believe it or not, this simplicity can be very helpful in many recipes where you need to add ice, but need to do so judiciously so that the recipe keeps its integrity as the ice melts.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......I still don't get it; if we can go metric, why can't America ? at least their money has always been 100 to 1.....

We should. But it's been tried a number of times and public resistance has never been overcome.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I expect your measuring cups are probably like ours (showing metric on one side and ounces on the other?)

Mine are all metric these days, though my scales have a wee switch on the bottom for changing one from the other. Even rulers and inch tapes are metric. That said, I quilt and I bought some of the big acrylic cutting rulers to use with a rotary cutter, and they're all in inches :yikes: it no longer computes :rolleyes:

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE