SIGG Oval bottle and cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just got one of these and I must say I'm impressed.

ovalblack.jpg

Blurb........

A beautifully designed replica of the 1941 Swiss Army water bottle, this strong and durable oval bottle feels comfortable in your hand and begs to be filled with your favorite beverage. Made from stainless steel; leakproof lid. Oval shape saves space in your pack. Durable painted finish retains the bottle's look and luster with extended use. Seamless, uniform walls for maximum strength. Taste-free interior; stores water, sport drinks, or any portable liquid.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got one from the mother-in-law for christmass. Has any one tried to cook in the cup as mine has a iffy looking seem around the bottom and I'm loathe to ruin it. The blurb on the box makes no claim for the cup to be stove proof..

The bottles excellent, fits neatly into a pocket (the wife got me another in blue to balance me out) and I tend to carry one in the main compartment of my beloved Snugpak Response Pak (bought as a butch baby changing kit) when I'm bimbling about.

ATB

Tom

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have been looking at these but not purchased yet. They are all stainless steel---bottle and cup though not aluminum.

They also have red and blue oval stainless bottles without the cup. Sort of expensive over here, but I think I will eventually have to order one.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I must admit I do use mine a lot and so far theres not a paint chip or dent on them unlike the round Ally' .6 Litre jobs I got the kids.

They do weigh noticably more but then where weights an issue I just use Platypi (or is it Platypusses?) anyway, especially now I've a dedicated to water filter cap fitted.

OK the price sucks but unless I lose them I can't see me ever having to replace them.

How long before they bring out a belt pouch or thermal jacket I wonder?

ATB

Tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I picked up a few of the original army ones a couple of years ago, cork stopper but the same look about it; nice bit of kit :)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
tombear said:
I must admit I do use mine a lot and so far theres not a paint chip or dent on them unlike the round Ally' .6 Litre jobs I got the kids.

They do weigh noticably more but then where weights an issue I just use Platypi (or is it Platypusses?) anyway, especially now I've a dedicated to water filter cap fitted.

OK the price sucks but unless I lose them I can't see me ever having to replace them.

How long before they bring out a belt pouch or thermal jacket I wonder?

ATB

Tom

The maxpedition mini rolypoly is the perfect size ;)

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Just got the bottle only as a "scratch and dent" item at an outfitter over here for only $4 USD! Two small dents on the bottom (like I'd never dent it anyways...). Fits great in the outside pocket of the german army mountain pack I use as for day hikes. A little on the heavy side for only holding .6L. Okay for a day hike but I don't think I'll be using it for any long treks.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I picked one of these up today from Blacks, and I like it.

It cost £22.99 for the mug and bottle togther. I bought it to use for work / a short(ish) walk rather than my Natoflask water bottle.

They are very compact, will hold approx a pint (in old money) of liquid which is roughly half of the Natoflasks capacity. For longer walks or if I plan on spending more time in the woods I would prefer the Natoflask however, simply because of it's larger size, just need to get the mug to go with it though :eek:

A good buy IMO, I'm just glad the search reaults were positive, in future I must remember to search on here then buy new stuff, rather than the other way around, like today :puppy_dog .

ATB....Stu

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I saw one the other day when mooching - it really is an elegant design isn't it?

I resisted as I've more water bottles than I need already and will shortly be thinning kit out - but I doo like it muchly!

Red

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well it did take them 6 months...

I suppose I'll have to get one, sheep that I am.

Having used the bottles quite a bit now they have dented far more than I thought they would in normal usage. Also with regards to the metal mug, which to be honest I don't use, the button the leather tag fits onto fell off while stored in a cupboard so either the mice have taken up metal work or the originol weld wasn't much cop.

ATB

Tom

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
has anyone tried using the cup in a fire as a cooking vessel. I know its small but its more a point of principle

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
DON'T LET IT NEAR A FIRE!!! sorry for shouting but the seam went on mine and I had to send it back, got a replacement but it was a bit of a faff...
jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE