Shoulder Knife Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about other means of carrying like neck sheaths or a baldric ?

Just curious as we're on the subject of knife law :deal:

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
What about other means of carrying like neck sheaths or a baldric ?

Just curious as we're on the subject of knife law :deal:

If you have a reasonable need to carry your knife, you will be fine. However, a concealed rig like that is not reasonable - I have processed more than a dozen people for concealed carry and it is always a rig similar to this or a covert radio harness altered to fit a knife. Ankle holsters tucked under a sock as well are 'magistrates in the morning' jobs.

(The worst I ever saw was a knife that slotted into a belt at the rear - a sliver of a blade and lethal.)

A knife in a neck sheath can be worn outside of the clothing, and as such could be reasonable as you didn't have a belt or belt loop. As you would demonstrate the need for it in your environment (out in the woods or mountains or bushcrafting) and the only way to carry it was in its provided neck sheath, that would be seen as reasonable.

However, wear that same neck sheath in the streets and get pulled with it tucked under your shirt, don't think the Police will be very understanding. They won't be.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I don't think we're going to resolve this one !.

So if a neck sheath can be worn outside the clothing, and be acceptable, then so can this sheath system.

Rob

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Trust me, this rig is not easily explained to a police officer, or indeed easily explainable in a court. This rig is designed to be carried concealed with quick deployment in an inverted position. Every other sheath out there including baldrick the design, is not designed with concealment and fast deployment in mind. This rig looks like a concealed firearms rig and is designed with the same intention. Try and explain it to the judge why you need an inverted fast acquisition. Try to explain to the judge why you need a quick draw acquisition holster designed for concealment for a bladed tool. You will not do well. The holster you have is based on an offensive concealed carry design used by military and undercover operatives and criminals who carry knives to be used as weapons. If I saw someone wearing one of these in the woods, I'd think the worst. If I saw someone with a Mears style baldrick design, it would not cause the same reaction. In short, wear this in public and you are surely inviting disaster if it is seen (and shoulder holsters of this design for guns and knives are very visible with a small gust of wind, or when stretching, leaning, turning or even walking fast). Even if it is not seen, and you are stopped inadvertently by the law or someone in authority and it is discovered, expect to receive the full weight of the law bearing down on you with increasing hostility and momentum. Beautiful holster, bad idea. Looks too tactical and will be perceived as such by 99.99% of the populous including bushcrafters and other knife carriers.

Not only that but shoulder holsters are damned uncomfortbale if worn for a few hours. Granted a loaded 9mm is heavier than a knife, but your armpit will be wet and itchy within hours even with a light object like a knife.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Actually - as a concealed weapon the Magistrate will be MUCH less lenient on you. The act of concealing will more than likely up your custodial sentence by quite a bit I am afraid.

LBL

Ok, missing something here, where in English law is there a concealed carry section?

The knife in any situation were a police officer could object to it, is basically illegal away.

Anyone carrying anything other than a very legal edc knife, in the current climate deserves what is going to happen to them.

On the other hand, on private land, you have permission to be on, I want a sheath like that. I prefer that sort of carry, it is out of the way, and has less chance of being seen by some busy body.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Ok, missing something here, where in English law is there a concealed carry section?

The knife in any situation were a police officer could object to it, is basically illegal away.

Anyone carrying anything other than a very legal edc knife, in the current climate deserves what is going to happen to them.

On the other hand, on private land, you have permission to be on, I want a sheath like that. I prefer that sort of carry, it is out of the way, and has less chance of being seen by some busy body.

On private land, crack on. As long as you have permission of the land owner, or it's your land, you can wear this and nothing else all day.

Anywhere else, you are truly ******. Law looks at intent. A covert carry shoulder sheath is not 'normal' in the UK - I think that's fairly obvious from the responses above.

Law states that a non-locking folder with a sub-3" blade is legal EDC in UK. Anything else, you need a good reason to be carrying and a good chance of being able to persuade a police officer that you have a legitimate reason to be carrying it. I would argue that you would have a much harder time trying to explain away a knife in a shoulder sheath than the same knife in a belt sheath.

Unfortunately, even if you have a knife in a bergan or in the boot of your car, it is still technically classed as being carried in public. So, you need to be able to explain that you are on your way to somewhere where you will use your knife for bushcraft.

A belt sheath is 'normal'. A neck sheath is not very normal. A shoulder-carry sheath is most definitely not normal.

By the way, I agree with the comment on shoulder sheaths that they are a pain in the bum. I tried one on ops for while and hated it - every time I bent forwards it would start flapping about and just didn't feel that secure. Ah well, horses for courses.

Still, it's beautifully made and you must be very pleased. How was the 'woven' effect on the sheath achieved? Is it plaited or stamped?

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Mikey,

Thanks for your comments, yours seems to be the voice of reason, i have also caried in shoulder holster, and agree with what you say, but with the knfe being much lighter, it makes all the difference, also with Andy's take on it, it sits further back, with less movement.

The basketweave is stamped on(he is the master at this) giving a fantastic effect/weaved look, i also have a belt and more conventional sheath by Andy in the same pattern.

Rob

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I know I'm going slightly off topic here but would it be possible to stabilise the whole structure with some sort of chest strap across the front? As you mention, you don't have the weight problems with the knife on this system, as opposed to a pistol, which generally tend to swing about.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It would be easier to stabilise the rig with a elasticated strap from the sheath to your belt. One across your chest would just have the whole thing fighting your body movement instead of moving with it.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Unfortunately, even if you have a knife in a bergan or in the boot of your car, it is still technically classed as being carried in public. So, you need to be able to explain that you are on your way to somewhere where you will use your knife for bushcraft.

If the police officer is any doubt of my use by the time he has got to my knife, I am not going to explain it to him, but a maigistrate anyway.

A belt sheath is 'normal'. A neck sheath is not very normal. A shoulder-carry sheath is most definitely not normal.

As I said, I would be tempted to say, because of all of the media inspired knife related histera, I use sheaths that can be put out of sight. Also it is easier to remove them, and to remember to remove them if they are seperate from my belt.

By the way, I agree with the comment on shoulder sheaths that they are a pain in the bum. I tried one on ops for while and hated it - every time I bent forwards it would start flapping about and just didn't feel that secure. Ah well, horses for courses.

Heard this from gun people before, apprently it is a fit thing, like most things. If you have problems with them, it is worth going to a shop were they know what they are talking about, and having the converastion with them.

Also the main reason for their popularity, I belive, is it makes it so much easier to carry a back up weapon.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Hmmm...
Very well made, no denying that.
But if we were going out for a night in the woods and someone turned up wearing that I'd have trouble not laughing at them. Then I'd tell them to stop watching too many of the wrong sort of films before sending him home to change and jolly well grow up.
Each to their own though. If you like it and are willing to wear it...well, whatever floats your boat.
I do like the lattice-work effect on the sheath itself.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Whilst I can't comment on the law, I tootle through the x-ray machines in Parliament and the Home Office on a weekly basis with a 2.5" Fallkniven folder in my bag, and nobody's ever had an issue with that.

Mind you, I often use my NRA membership card as Photo ID, which always ties the security guards into a painful logic loop :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi all,

Well, this has certainly been a lively debate, and thanks for all the comments.

Andy put alot of thought into the design, and we discussed it at length, and went for the simple approach.

I'm of a larger build than Andy, so while it hangs loose on Andy in the photo's, it fits better on me, with a closer fit giving being comfy without allowing excess movement, but enough to allow the sheath to be opend with either hand.

Rob

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Also the main reason for their popularity, I belive, is it makes it so much easier to carry a back up weapon.

When I used to own centre-fire semi-auto pistols (in the days when you were allowed to), I used to carry them to the range in a shoulder holster. The reason for this was that I wanted to have it on my person at all times. The police consider it very bad form indeed to have a firearm nicked from a car whilst you're in a petrol station or cafe. A shoulder holster was the most comfortable way of carrying sitting in a car, and is more discrete than a belt holster.

Jim

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Just to add my two pennysworth, I too had to carry a handgun in a shoulder holster in my former career and I can state quite categorically that there is a law regarding concealed weapons. Apart from royal protection, security forces and the like they are illegal and anyone wishing to use this type of system must apply for a very special permit, which I may add you will not get unless there are very very special circumstances that you can prove that it's vital to use this type of system. I'm fairly confident this will apply to knives as well as guns. Even If you are on private property, cos it could also be open to other members of the public as in the case of any pub or club, a question would be asked as to why this type of carriage is needed and I personally don't feel that an answer of "I prefer it to a belt sheath" will be acceptable. The work is great and it looks good but I don't feel the police will look at that aspect, especially with the new laws in place regarding knives.
I believe it's a case of very nice item, and bring it out at look at it with joy, then put it back in the drawer and don't take it outside, stick to what cannot be construed as anything other than a standard style carry system. It's a real shame cos this looks really good, but unfortunately sometimes we have to step away from knowing the work and effort put into something close to us to see the big picture with a dispassionate eye.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE