should i really fork out for a LED Lenser?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Afternoon all,

I would like to hear of your experiences with LED Lenser torches- good or bad.
I'm seriously considering a P7 for use at work (emergency services) due to its size, brightness and the pouch that comes with it.Thing is i don't know if i can bring myself to fork out £40 of my hard earned cash.

Are they as good as they say or can you suggest something cheaper which is similar and has a pouch and a high level of brightness?

PS how waterproof are the Led lenser P7's??

Thanks chaps

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i use one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item1c2a47b680

lumens is way over stated but its still as good as a P7 imho. dunked it when i got it (after lubing o rings) and it was fine. had it near on 2 years now. 18650 batteries readily available on ebay and deal extreme

no connection to seller etc etc

edit: in your line of work, the flood to throw ability of a led lenser will be useful but there are cheaper versions with that too

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks Paul, looks a good torch for the price. I think your right about the Lenser though, thats one thing swaying me towards it. Might also have a look at Fenix ;)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Must be honest Ive broken two issued ones already- they dont seem to like falls and rain LOL. Plus their brightness is comparable to a candle...

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
i will say one thing for a proper P7. ive had them roll off the worktop onto quarry tile floor and still be fine. they are a good bit of kit but you pay more

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Like mine, an like my h7 as well. Would be better if it had a strobe.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
thanks paul, i have a gerber torch like that which would be great for the job if it was smaller!

UPDATE- anyone used the Lenser police tech torches: cheaper but a few less lumens?

Last edited:

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I have one of these and use it a lot for working at night with a night eyez head band, dropped quite a bit and still absolutely fine,:)

Hmm Maglites- too behind the times for me, especially in terms of light output/size. Good as an emergency sledge hammer tho in the bigger sizes ;)

Looks like a Led Lenser is the way forward.
Also thanks for the links paul.

rosshs1

Apr 5, 2011
oxfordshire
I've had one for a few years, I think it was a p3 and its been fine, been dropped and watered loads, its brighter than my 6d cell mag lite and fits in the palm of my hand. I think for the money they are worth it, a lot cheaper than sure fire and the like. the only fault with mine is its either on or off, so it can be a bit bright for close work.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE