Shotgun license interview help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi all,

I've got my shotgun license interview/ home inspection tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice for me? I think I should be o.k as I have a perfectly legitimate reason to want a shotgun and have installed my safe correctly.

My gun safety is good as I handle them regularly but is there anything else I should watch out for so I don't get caught out?

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
All I say is be honest with the FEO, they are not out, for you not have a firearm just making sure you are the right person to HAVE ONE which are two different things.
If you have done all the right things all will be fine and good luck with the shooting, is it Section one firearm or section two.
D

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Don't shave, wear trousers a few inches short for your legs, purple socks, ruffle your hair and quaff a scotch just before he arrives.
Make sure you develop a nervous tic and let him see you store your knives and axe in a pic of the local MP on the lounge wall as you tell him how pleased you are that they have chosen to let you help in the fight against local crime by letting you have your first legal firearm.

That should do the trick ;)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
As above. Couple of tips:
- Remember no cartridges stored in the cabinet (not that you should have any of course)
- If you've an air rifle make sure it's properly secured
- Cabinet keys on your person, not stashed in a drawer
- Carving 'help me' into your chest with a razor before the interview may count against you

Tobes

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Just to be on the safe side, put your axes and knives away before the interview (if they aren't already!) and remember, as has already been said, having an air rifle lying around and not locked away is not only illegal these days (if young people could have access) but would count heavily against you if spotted by the officer.

Make their job easy by giving names and addresses for people who can corroborate what you will be using the gun for, eg shoot captain or club officer where you will be shooting
Expect a formal fairly serious interview.

It might also be a good idea to make sure your reference understands what kind of questions they might be asked about you (in their separate interview)
- how long have you known him?
- what sort of person is he?
- how regularly do you see him?
- have you ever seen him get angry?
- what about the convictions on his form? ( even if there aren't anyway, this is a bit of a trick question to see if the referee has read the form)
- can you think of any reason why he should not have a shotgun?

Should be fine. The officers who do this can smell out a sensible bloke from a weirdo from 100 yards.

Last edited:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Good luck with it, being a member of any shooting club/syndicate/society is worth mentioning.
Different regions can have very different views. I was involved in black powder reenactment (yes, BP muzzle loaders still need to be licensed) and in Cambridgeshire the police would say one thing, whilst friends in W. Yorks had a very different set of requirements. Even had one friend go through the process of having his house registered as a powder storage facility :)

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
O.k so my air rifles are in the gun safe, spare keys locked away, backup safe to keep the ammo...bloody hell it's like fort knocks in my house now!

Anything else!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
you will be fine mate, sounds like you have covered all the boxes.......;)

best of luck....

chris.

Cheers buddy, don't know anyone who has ever failed one because I shoot with very conscious and safe people so can't see any reason why I wouldn't pass!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is no legal requirement for a separate ammo cabinet for section 2 ammunition (although it should be secured away from plain sight

Be calm, be safe and, when he turns up, check his ID

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Well that was easy! Just finished my interview and went really well, told me I'd receive my certificate in 3/4 weeks time hopefully. He was quite cautious at first but once we'd been chatting for a bit and he knew I was TA and would be a regular in two years he relaxed, even got a few smiles out of him in the end!

Only advice I could give to someone in my area is that it helped my cause that I had the number of the president of my shooting club who could vouch for me if need be, they want to be able to contact someone who you will be shooting with etc.

Cheers for the advice all!

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
as long as you appear reasonably 'normal' and sane you should be fine, also remember what you wrote on your written application form (reason for licence etc, where you plan to shoot etc). Mine lasted all of about 5 minutes, he was a very pleasant chap too.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
My renewed certificate (not a new one!) took about three months to come through and finally turned up a couple of weeks before the old certificate expired! It had sat on a PC's desk locally for a couple of months before he decided to do anything about it. Don't be reluctant to chase them up if nothing seems to be happening as they have been known to lose paperwork in the system, on their own admission.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Don't shave, wear trousers a few inches short for your legs, purple socks, ruffle your hair and quaff a scotch just before he arrives.
Make sure you develop a nervous tic and let him see you store your knives and axe in a pic of the local MP on the lounge wall as you tell him how pleased you are that they have chosen to let you help in the fight against local crime by letting you have your first legal firearm.

That should do the trick ;)

This made me laugh :-D

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
That happened with mines as well, I didnt want to call as it was my first certificate application , but when i did, emm it went in the post yesterday lol funny that!!

My renewed certificate (not a new one!) took about three months to come through and finally turned up a couple of weeks before the old certificate expired! It had sat on a PC's desk locally for a couple of months before he decided to do anything about it. Don't be reluctant to chase them up if nothing seems to be happening as they have been known to lose paperwork in the system, on their own admission.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
For a shotgun certificate you don't actually need a cartridge safe, but the fact that you've gone that far should demonstrate that you are responsible. I keep mine in the garage; they are no use without the gun so as long as they are separate that is the main thing. He will do the talking, just answer the questions and relax; he has to have really serious concerns before he'll think about refusing an application.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE