shooting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Hi everyone, probably get frowned upon putting this up but what the heck "don't ask don't get".

Was wondering if anyone has permission to shoot on land anywhere within approximately 25-30 miles of southampton? and if they have is there room for one more? don't mind mind paying my way if thats needed.

Helpfull replies would be appreciated :rolleyes:

P.s it's with an air rifle.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good luck with getting somewhere to shoot, sometimes you'll get lucky finding somewhere and other times you won't. Knock on doors of farmers and land owners and dress smart casual, be polite, ask if they have time for a quick chat and take it from there. Explain that their livestock will be respected by you and you won't shoot in the vicinity of any livestock, you'll keep an eye out when lambing season is on and report back to hi if you see any ewes in trouble etc. All of these things could swing the deal, if he isn't paying you yet you are looking out for his livestock then you are an added pair of eyes over his flock whilst you go about the business of keeping his pest species down.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Well worth having BASC membership too - that shows you're committed and provides you with something like £1m in third-party insurance.

When I got my permission, I started by asking if there was a single warren I could work - that way the farmer knew exactly where I'd be, rather than wandering around the place blatting off pellets at random.

Tobes

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Keep knocking, then after a few years (in my case) I found a gem. A really really nice bloke, got my FAC off his permission and now shoot pigeons with shotgun as well as my .22 and he's taking me stalking too. I believe he's got me a place beating nearby.

I'm coming across as gloating but what I'm trying to say is, keep at it. One day it'll work really well.

Keep walking as many areas as you can and see where the signs are - this guy had a weather vein as a deer and a couple of bucks heads by the door, I asked him about them and it went from there.....

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
As everyone has said its a matter of door knocking and keeping your ears open. I overheard a guy in my rugby club that he was a farmer, after few weeks of say hello and chatting to him i mentioned shooting and he gave me another 300 odd acres to shoot over. When you get one you can name drop and it helps to get the farms nextdoor.

Good luck

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A good way is to find out about local game shoots, then see about going along as a beater, the timing couldn't be much better incidentally, just 8 days into the pheasant season. As you become freindly with the gamekeeper and other beaters and maybe the guns (if its a decent shoot and not too snobby) you may be surprised at the opportunities that present themselves. It has worked for me. Good luck with it.

Dave

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Second going down the beating route - its an ideal way of getting to know keepers / farmers etc. Most shoots at some point have a day when they're short of beaters aswell so your services are bound to be called upon. I think there is also an organisation called NOB (National Organisation of Beaters) - might be worth having a mooch on their website etc.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I used to find it easier to get the foot in the door offering to help with rabbit problems by going ferreting. Because there are no guns involved etc i found people were more inclined to give you there premission. Then once you have been ferreting for a while mention that you have an air rifle etc etc etc, all about just getting the foot in the door.

Mar 21, 2006
Isle of Wight
I have well over 1000 acres if you want to give it a go. I also have a few other places where I have permission to shoot anything any time of year, so that probably easily adds another 500 acres or so. You are welcome to use rifle, shotgun and anything else you fancy. There is woodland, open fields, grassland and all sorts.
You can shoot rabbits, pheasants, partridge, pigeons and anything you fancy eating, with the exception of hares, as I like leaving them alone.

I went out for a few nights about 3 weeks ago and knocked off about 300 rabbits with shotguns and rifles etc with a few mates I invited over. Got some lovely pigeons too.

Only problem is that although I am well within the 25 miles, I live on the Isle of Wight, but you are welcome to shoot with me. I quite often disappear for a few days up around the place and just set up a camp and "bushcraft it up", eating what I shoot etc. Am happy to do some kind of return favour if you want. The night shooting for rabbits is great and I have different terrain so you get a really good variety of hunting and it definitely hones your techniques!!

If you want anything local, find a few local shoots and sign up as a regular beater and ask the keeper if you can also ping off a few rabbits etc and maybe some pigeons through the summer. Most are fairly obliging unless they are already oversubscribed with people shooting vermin.

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
I have well over 1000 acres if you want to give it a go. I also have a few other places where I have permission to shoot anything any time of year, so that probably easily adds another 500 acres or so. You are welcome to use rifle, shotgun and anything else you fancy. There is woodland, open fields, grassland and all sorts.
You can shoot rabbits, pheasants, partridge, pigeons and anything you fancy eating, with the exception of hares, as I like leaving them alone.

I went out for a few nights about 3 weeks ago and knocked off about 300 rabbits with shotguns and rifles etc with a few mates I invited over. Got some lovely pigeons too.

Only problem is that although I am well within the 25 miles, I live on the Isle of Wight, but you are welcome to shoot with me. I quite often disappear for a few days up around the place and just set up a camp and "bushcraft it up", eating what I shoot etc. Am happy to do some kind of return favour if you want. The night shooting for rabbits is great and I have different terrain so you get a really good variety of hunting and it definitely hones your techniques!!

If you want anything local, find a few local shoots and sign up as a regular beater and ask the keeper if you can also ping off a few rabbits etc and maybe some pigeons through the summer. Most are fairly obliging unless they are already oversubscribed with people shooting vermin.

A very nice offer, what a nice bloke you are :You_Rock_

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Wow!!!!! thank you very much :You_Rock_ sorry been away from the laptop for a bit but yes please would love to pop over the widget and spend some time with you. pm me your details so we could arrange something would be more than appreciated:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE