Shoe laces upgrade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
For a while now I've been a bit fed up with the rapidly disintegrating shoe laces on my every day shoes (a pair of TNF approach shoes). Alas, due to a curious quirk of the way TNF make them, the eyelets the laces go through are smaller than pretty much every set of after market shoe laces I could get from the local blacks. Even too small for standard paracord.

But tonight, after having a fun evening getting very tangled up measuring out the 2mm dyneema from the group buy, I thought I would see if this stuff fits the shoes. It does.

Is it over kill to be walking around with shoe laces rated to 280kg breaking strain? The only downside appears to be the lack of aglets...

J

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
That's what I have in my Salamon shoes- they had a sort of cable lacing system where you pulled a toggle to tighten. The cable wore through on the TGO Challenge so was replaced with 2mm cord!

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I suspect you will find that the shoes keep coming untied.

Shoelaces need a little stretch to keep the standard knot locked without any direct tension on the knot and that is one thing that Dyneema doesn't have.

Double tying (overhand the loops) will help a little.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I suspect you will find that the shoes keep coming untied.

Shoelaces need a little stretch to keep the standard knot locked without any direct tension on the knot and that is one thing that Dyneema doesn't have.

Double tying (overhand the loops) will help a little.

I had a similar issue with gutted paracord I use for laces so after threading the cord through the eyelets I take the two ends and feed them through a fairly strong cord lock then tie a knot with both ends at the end of the laces so as to keep the ends from coming out of the cordlock - I have found this to be a good approach that is easy to adjust for comfortable tightness plus it allows me to use the shoes with the laces loosened without tripping over the loose laces. After tightening the cord lock I tuck the end under the most forward part of the laces on the shoe, loop the knotted end back under itself and then tuck again (sort of a simple lashing) just to keep the end from flopping around.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Is it over kill to be walking around with shoe laces rated to 280kg breaking strain? The only downside appears to be the lack of aglets...

J

Try making your own aglets. just get some heat shrink splice of the correct diameter from an electronics shop.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Update:

Been wandering around with these laces now for a few days, and managed to cover quite a few miles in that time. Conclusion so far is that there is no issue with them coming undone. Tied with your standard double bow shoe knot (does it have a real name?). They stay secure and comfy. Better infact than any shoe laces I've used in recent times. Time will tell how durable they are to abrasion. But I am hopeful.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE