Shock cord adjuster help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

I'm trying to make my underquilt easier to adjust once im in my hammock - currently i just have the shock cord knotted to keep it in place, but i'd like to be able to have a 'release/adjuster mechanism' that allows me to slacken the cord if i get hot....without dumping the whole underquilt on the ground ;)

I've bought and tried various shock cord locks online, but none of them are 'grunty' enough to hold up to the tension im putting on the shock cord - they just gradually slacken.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone able to let me into their secret to underquilt adjustment?

I was tempted to buy a couple more whoopie slings - that way i could also alter the angle of the shock cord and attach it higher up, maybe on my tarp line. seems excessive though.

Ta

EDIT: I did find thes from NiteIze. Maybe the 5mm version

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which UQ have you got? If it has channels along the length then you can slide it back and forth to control the temp.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Which UQ have you got? If it has channels along the length then you can slide it back and forth to control the temp.

I've got one of Unsponsored's 3/4 length quilts with tabs down the sides. I found that if i ran the shock cord the full length of the quilt, the cord just gave to much stretch and put the locks under even more tension - maybe i needed thicker shock?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got one of Unsponsored's 3/4 length quilts with tabs down the sides. I found that if i ran the shock cord the full length of the quilt, the cord just gave to much stretch and put the locks under even more tension - maybe i needed thicker shock?

I punctured the ends of the long side channels and fed 4mm shockcord through mine, kind of liek this ...

shockcord.jpg

The thickness of the 4mm seems to hold well enough but I'm still able to slide the quilt backwards and forwards

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
I punctured the ends of the long side channels and fed 4mm shockcord through mine, kind of liek this ...
The thickness of the 4mm seems to hold well enough but I'm still able to slide the quilt backwards and forwards

And then do you just knot it at the end of your hammock? tarp line?

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I also have an Unsponsored UQ and considered running the line through the long channels. I ended up just using the corner tabs and a shorter length of shock cord. The cord is looped through a small s-biner and tied with a tensioning hitch like a tarp tie out line. Its then passed through the ring on my whoopie sling and back to te opposite corner loop, like this:

P1000668a.jpg

P1000671a.jpg

Its working well for me so far. You could tie it to your suspension if you dont have a ring.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
And then do you just knot it at the end of your hammock? tarp line?

I used one length of SC so one end is just a loop coming out one side and then back in the other, and the other end is a knot, they both hook onto the gathered end of my hammock rather than the suspension or other attachments.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
have a word with the big labowski ive an unsponsored u/q he modded for me works great for me now regards dave

Try and open up the seam in the middle of the long channels about an inch will do, make sure you hand sew a few lock stitches in to stop them running, now pull the shock cord through the hole and put it through a cord lock. now you will be able to adjust the tension on your quilt whilst lying on the hammock.

also dont use the shock cord that runs through your quilt to suspend it, you need to maybe add a few tabs at each end and add some SC in a loop and pop over the gather of your hammock, set those first then you can cinch up the ends and sides useing the cord locks,

I think Phils (unsponsored) newer quilts have this additions in, i may be wrong tho!

Mat

That was news to me, thanks Mat - and probably why my UQ keeps "skewing" off me in the night (ie. the side elastic finds it easy to slide under me than over me)

Its due to you laying on an angle to get flat, your quilt just wants to stay straight giving you a cold left shoulder and cold feet/calfs, whan you have the shock cord on the little tabs at the end you can tighten it up so it is diagonal, so do one side of the head and foot tighter than the other then when you cinch up the ends to stop the cold air getting between your quilt and hammock it will no longer bugger off in the night! another way to prevent this is to use a small trangle of fabric like my Tri-plates, but you can make your own easy enough.

Mat

Last edited:

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
another way to prevent this is to use a small trangle of fabric like my Tri-plates, but you can make your own easy enough.

Mat

I notice that Roe Ring has quite a sag in his hammock set up - i like mine to be much tighter, and i think thats part of my problem - i have to pull the shock alot tighter to get it to sit up close to the underside of my hammock. Do you think the Tri plates would help with this?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I dont know how well you can see it, but to take out the sag, I've run paracord through the side channel's with stop knots to keep the quilt spread out.

Shock cord loops with mini-carabiners ether end and button toggles (that came with quilt) that slide down the shock cord to gather the ends and trap the UQ above the ends of the hammock.

2p4zc.jpg

5fg2ty.jpg

Last edited:

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
I dont know how well you can see it, but to take out the sag, I've run paracord through the side channel's with stop knots to keep the quilt spread out.

Shock cord loops with mini-karabiners ether end and button toggles (that came with quilt) that slide down the shock cord to gather the ends and trap the UQ above the ends of the hammock.

i like that idea. i suppose as long as you've got some shock cord along the set up it'll give enough play to stop any ripping. I've got some spare para cord, so i think i might give it ago

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yep, thats what works for me... You need 'some' play for getting in and out, but too much and the UQ can sag during the night or strong wind, weather wise anyway.

What you cant see, as I didn't have the toggles set in the picture is that both cords run through the tooggle, so when its adjusted down, it locks the rig and you can't get sag or movement.

15s1w2c.jpg

The trick is to make sure the shock cord is over the hammock straps when you set it up,
not under... I unclip the hammock karabiner, feed through the UQ shock cord and clip the UQ higher up the hammock straps. (As in top picture)

When you slide down the toggles then, they trap the UQ in place. They only need to come about half way down. It keeps the quilt tight to your back, and snug around your shoulders...

kb60q0.jpg

34gaxc4.jpg

If you want to cool down or loosen the set-up, just simply place your hand over your head and back off the toggle.

Regards, al.

Last edited:

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I notice that Roe Ring has quite a sag in his hammock set up - i like mine to be much tighter, and i think thats part of my problem - i have to pull the shock alot tighter to get it to sit up close to the underside of my hammock. Do you think the Tri plates would help with this?

I'm still messing around with the sag to find the sweet spot. The set-up in the photo was quite extreme but still nice and comfy with a flat lay on the diagonal. I started out with my ridge line set at 83% of the overall length and tweaked it from there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE