Shemagh' and there uses!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Those are the little shops with the personal service that I miss from being over there. And those inherited items are the things you can never replace.

Going a bit off topic I know, but the wheelchair my mum used was the same model that travel writer Quentin Crewe used on his world travels, the initial design was by Lord Snowdon, and there were not that many made, the company that ended up producing them was ultimately a victim of the first gulf war, in that they also supplied mobile surgical units but were bankrupted by the financial disruptions of those times. It was a case of British innovation being stymied by British beurocracy, my mum wrote to Michael Heseltine about it (he had made some pompous statement about looking after british industry) He did not reply, what a hypocrite and waste of space, my mum was worth a thousand of he. She had some adventures in that chair including crashing it into a bollard and suing Coventry Council for a replacement.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
:) Reminds me of:
Paddy goes into ex-army stores in Dublin and asks "have you any camouflage jackets ?", stock list shows hundreds says the salesman, but darned if we can find em.

I know the feeling, I have a few myself but whenever I go to my wardrobe .......

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Antbody else catch the irony here? LOL. I'm guessing you don't get picked as the camp chef very often.

Never on the same trip fortunately (so far at least).

Anyone seeing me wearing one as a sarong would quickly lose their appetite so no chance they'd be asking me to make lunch straight after :eek:

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
My son is in Qatar and coming home next week, I've asked him to get me a Shemagh if he happens to be in the market areas, if it works out then I'm hoping to get an authentic middle-east produced version.

I have heard that foreign factories (including UK) are the main suppliers of Shemagh's across the middle-east, not sure if entirely true, maybe someone can enlighten.

Knowing my luck I will end up with a "Genuine Qatari Shemagh" with a made in Bolton label on it. :rolleyes:

rorymax

I think one of the main manufacturers of shemaghs for a while was near Dalry in Scotland. It's probable though that it was for the European market rather than exporting the the middle east.

Brynglas

I have an Afghan scarf, not exactly a shemagh, bigger in proportion and without the raised weave. Always travels with me and comes camping as it serves as a scarf, shawl, muffler, picnic rug, tablecloth and any other myriad uses. It's not an accident thatchers bits of kit have become essentials in different parts of the world.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Can't say I 've had that problem John!

Traditionally the Cheches were dyed with dry indigo powder - to save water - and the depth of colour reflected the wealth of the wearer. Being dry died the indigo leached out with the wearers sweat and dyed the wearers skin - hence the Touregs being known as "The Blue Men of the Desert" or "Dirty Toerags"
Modern dyes do not have the problem....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Those Pakols are great, warm, comfy and can make lovely cosy for a zebra billy can. I've had mine for several years now and it's going strong. I got mine from Peshawar but I'm sure they're available in this Country.
They are, they're only £9.99 inc P&P on that website, some of the prices there are brilliant (No connection etc).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE