Shemagh' and there uses!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I was in me Spare room earlier where I store most of me kit rooting through stuff that I've acquired over the years, (more than what I thought actually) and at the end of it I'd got quite a pile of still very serviceable kit, which I gave away to a chap down the road who's getting in to this hobby. Anyway I came across a very old shemagh which I'd forgotten about, and it got me thinking on what a good bit of kit they are with a multitude of uses. Anyway who's got one/uses one and just how uses have you seen them used for or can you think of a possible use for?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It keeps my neck warm and at a push it'll keep the sun off if I forget my hat.

A towel
A beach blanket
A picnic cloth
A water filter
A shopping bag
A foraging bag

It can be used to wrap stuff for carrying (google the word furoshiki to see how those clever Japanese people do this)
Much else.

I stitched two together to make a larger sheet, that way I could use it as a 'hostel sheet' in some of the grubbier places I have stayed in around the world.

There are quite a few rubbish printed ones out there from China or India, its worth looking out for proper woven one if you can find one.

Last edited:

timbox

Feb 2, 2012
worthing
I have been thinking of buying one for a while now but am not keen on the cheap printed ones can someone recommend where I can get a more authentic woven one.

Cheers

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have been thinking of buying one for a while now but am not keen on the cheap printed ones can someone recommend where I can get a more authentic woven one.

Cheers

How authentic is authentic? I used to live next to this woolen mill in Filkins when I was stationed over there. They can make just about anything you ask for www.cotswoldwoollenweavers.co.uk But it'll be wool.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
Shemagh uses
Balaclava
Scarf
Sweat rag
Head cooler
Towel
Flannel
Water filter
Bandage
Sling
Wrapper
Splint
Kit carrier
Padding
Shun shield
Safe wrapping for delicate items
Smokeshield for your mouth
Cold compress
Hot compress
Dust protector
Strangler (for the zombie apocalypse;))
Kit cleaner
Signaller if its bright coloured!
Slingshot (as in the swing in circle type)
Cordage
That's 24 guys!!!!!!

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I bought a shemagh recently from an online source that was claiming genuine Saudi imports, turned out to be polyester rubbish from China most likely. I do have a cotton shemagh though, mostly worn in summer. I dunno about fFilkins Santaman, but I got a good piece of tweed from Trefriw which serves as a winter shemagh/scarf I also inherited a cape from the same mill that is pretty much the same design as the "birrus britannicus", it used to belong to my mum who wore it out when she went out on the hills in her 4WD wooden electric wheelchair. I kid you not.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I bought a shemagh recently from an online source that was claiming genuine Saudi imports, turned out to be polyester rubbish from China most likely. I do have a cotton shemagh though, mostly worn in summer. I dunno about fFilkins Santaman, but I got a good piece of tweed from Trefriw which serves as a winter shemagh/scarf I also inherited a cape from the same mill that is pretty much the same design as the "birrus britannicus", it used to belong to my mum who wore it out when she went out on the hills in her 4WD wooden electric wheelchair. I kid you not.

Those are the little shops with the personal service that I miss from being over there. And those inherited items are the things you can never replace.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Truly a versatile multi use piece of kit a chaps, wouldn't mind getting me self a new one!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Mine was hand made in northern Iraq by a lovely Kurdish lady, it's a cotton/wool blend and it's brilliant for using as a "pillow case" to make a dry bag full of clothes a lot more comfortable to lay my head on.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've got a few shemaghs in different colours, weights, designs...probably one of the most useful items of clothing someone can own.

In addition to the other suggestions above, I've worn one as a sarong when waiting for gear to dry, used it rolled up to carry gear, an impromptu carrier for foraged items a quick dog lead' for stray dogs, for a windbreak for one side of a shelter.

Can be used for a variety of first aid applications (similar to a scout 'neckie').

You can stick a rock (pile of gravel or even soil) in one to attach to a rope if you need some weight on the end for distance/height.

A quick & easy storage device when sleeping under a tarp, natural shelter or hammock.

Keeping dreaded Scottish midges off your face & neck...especially when covered in repellant.

I quite often use one to lay on the ground when taking stuff out my pack/pockets as a way of ensuring you don't lose stuff...and when doing food prep in the field (I'd rather lift dropped food off my shemagh than the ground)

It's also a handy item for wrist/arm/leg locks...great fun to teach & practice with my kids...although my wife keeps complaining about the noise & general mayhem that comes with it :lmao:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......I've worn one as a sarong when waiting for gear to dry

.....and when doing food prep in the field (I'd rather lift dropped food off my shemagh than the ground.....:lmao:

Antbody else catch the irony here? LOL. I'm guessing you don't get picked as the camp chef very often.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I was given one by a very good friend, in Omani camouflage print, a long time ago. I've not seen it for donkeys years!

:) Reminds me of:
Paddy goes into ex-army stores in Dublin and asks "have you any camouflage jackets ?", stock list shows hundreds says the salesman, but darned if we can find em.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
My son is in Qatar and coming home next week, I've asked him to get me a Shemagh if he happens to be in the market areas, if it works out then I'm hoping to get an authentic middle-east produced version.

I have heard that foreign factories (including UK) are the main suppliers of Shemagh's across the middle-east, not sure if entirely true, maybe someone can enlighten.

Knowing my luck I will end up with a "Genuine Qatari Shemagh" with a made in Bolton label on it. :rolleyes:

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE