Shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
What are the most suitable shelters to use in the UK?
Both improvised and carried. I personally use a Hoochie with bivvy bag but what do you guys go for?
Jim.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
i think that you have the best set up there mate. You could use hootchie / hammock to save on weight ( although this is rubbish if you cant find any trees! lol)

I have to set ups

1. bivvi, thermatrest, sleeping bag
2. hammock, basha, sleeping bag

or ultra weather retardant

bivvi, sleeping bag, thermarest, basha

Hawthorn

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2005
London
I usually camp with my British Basha and Hammock.

But have you ever looked at the Exped Tipi-tarp? Its cheap, lightweight, easy to put up, olive green, spacious, stands up in serious weather and its extremely versatile. It can be used as a tipi (loads of room for a fire inside), as a tarp, or as a lean-to. A good method is to have one entire side open. A great peice of kit. Highly recommended.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If it's just me, I have no problem with an army issue blanket and a basha.

If it's colder, I'll be taking a sleeping bag and therm-a-rest thank you.

If I'm with Eloise or if the weather is really bad, I'll mostly be in a Vaude Mark III tent because it's big, light and private.

This weekend I'm going to be sleeping under a tarp I made from some natural cotton canvas... I completed it on Sunday and I hope it goes well.

Improvised, I'd just stick a lean-to up and pick up leaves and thatch a little, have it open along the side and warm myself with a nice little fire. The real benefit of the most basic shelters is that you don't need any cord at all.

Joe

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I had to buy a tent and inflatable mattress as I broke me ribs. It didnt look very Ray Mears but at least I was able to get to the woods and have a fire and brew.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
There's nothing wrong with a tent and in many ways, they're better than other solutions.

One thing I got a while ago was a Therm-a-rest basecamp XL and if you like air beds, you'll love it. it's like an air bed but warmer and I don't wake up with a wonky back.

Just a thought.

Joe

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I will keep a lookout for a thermarest as i was in a hurry i just grabbed an argos rubberised canvas jobby as i was off to the bushmoot in wales

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
bloodline said:
I had to buy a tent and inflatable mattress as I broke me ribs. It didnt look very Ray Mears but at least I was able to get to the woods and have a fire and brew.

I used one of those inflatable mattress once on a fishing trip to Loch Awe at Easter and that was the coldest night I've ever had sleeping outdoors. Not helped by the frost in the morning I would only use those mattresses at the height of summer.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Squidders said:
There's nothing wrong with a tent and in many ways, they're better than other solutions...

Joe

Agreed. In fact, there are some scenarios when you will NEED a tent. Tina and I are just back from our second bite at the Spanish GR11 hike over the Pyrenees, and frequently made camp above 2300 m.

At these altitudes, a basha just would not suffice. High winds, hail and sub zero temps predicate the need for an alpine competent tent. Trust me, we saw the lot. :D

Vince

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I posted somewhere else about desert bashas that are being issued to British troops, well I got mine today along with oodles of other gucci bits of kit, for instance a pair of Magnum desert boots! The basha is the same construction as the woodland variant with the stretcher handles and robust taping on the edges.

I think this may be nice when up for in the summer as it is lighter in shade and looks as if it will let more light through, so not being as gloomy as the woodland version. Of course, you won't blend in as well though!!

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Zambezi, got to say your pictures are to big to view shame. its always nice to see were you ve been.

Dont agre about needing a tent :) ,done same using just a Gortex Bivi bag , sleeping bag and karrimat. Never cold, even when covered with 4 inchs of Snow :D

Edit forgot to say camping is only allowed over 2000m in the parks and biving means stop where you like and get away quick in the morning . just keep an eye out for wardens :p :eek:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, there's a time and place for everything... You can't get 2 people, full kit, laptop, satellite phone etc in to a bivvy bag with the best will in the world.

I would say that for gusting windy terrain or unprotected open areas, a tent is superior but we're going a little off topic as the question was directed at the UK.

The general idea I think is that you're happy with your choices, that you are comfy and protected from the elements and/or the local insect community.

Questions like this always run the risk of the "you're wrong" answers and to be honest unless you go out naked and sleep in a bramble, you'll be hard pushed to do it really wrong.

Joe

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Questions like this always run the risk of the "you're wrong" answers and to be honest unless you go out naked and sleep in a bramble, you'll be hard pushed to do it really wrong.

Now about naked and bramble......how do we do it right?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
beachlover said:

Now about naked and bramble......how do we do it right?
With a film crew?

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Squidders said:
There's nothing wrong with a tent and in many ways, they're better than other solutions.

One thing I got a while ago was a Therm-a-rest basecamp XL and if you like air beds, you'll love it. it's like an air bed but warmer and I don't wake up with a wonky back.

Just a thought.

Joe

<sigh>
After seeing your basecamp up close I had to go and buy one for myself..... A good nights kip but it aint rucksack friendly

simon

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Must agree with squidders and others there really is no right answer . what ever floats your boat is the right .and its worth trying as many ways as possible to find the ones that suit you. : ;)
I can tell you that sleeping in your underpants on a bedside mat with a bedside mat for a cover in Feb, in Norway is not one you should include on your list :eek: :eek: ;)

Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
I've used a Akto single pole tent for just over 2 years now, and I love it to bits. Exspensive to buy but always reliable, takes 2 mins to put up and is great in all weathers. Arguably lighter than a tarp and roll mat or hammock at 1.6kg all in.
Not as intimate with the wild - you are inside rather than out, but I tend to be in tick infested areas of Dartmoor and I like the comfort of knowing that I am not sharing my blood with too many other creatures in the night.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
simonsays said:
<sigh>
After seeing your basecamp up close I had to go and buy one for myself..... A good nights kip but it aint rucksack friendly

simon

Simon,

indeed, not rucksack friendly but oh the comfort! and it's warm... really warm.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I'm pretty much a tent man, a coleman epsilon to be precise, as most the places i go camping there aren't any suitable trees for hammocks....although i'd love to try it sometime.

After a lot of consideration i went down the road of getting a thermarest expedition with the 4.4thinckness. It's not quite as comfortable and snug as the basecamp or basecamp 5.0 mind you.

Will have to start trying out some different situations soon. Looking forward to my first time outside without a tent. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE