Shelter thatching update(pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, heres an update to this thread i posted last week, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94687

So today i went back up to Wooplaw and thatched the shelter. And i took these pics of the progress.

Well i just had to gather Bracken,and start thatching.

Half way through.
woopleanto.jpg

woopleanto3.jpg

woopleanto2.jpg

And now the back is finished.
woopleanto6.jpg

woopleanto7.jpg

And one looking at it from the front,the Bow saw is for scale.
woopleanto4.jpg

And heres how it fits into its surrondings.
woopleanto10.jpg

woopleanto8.jpg

All thats left to do now is thatch the sides, and build a raised bed, which i will try and get done next week.

Well thank you for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Looks great and sturdy frame, can't say "fits in" though. How long for did it take to construct the frame ? Thanks for showing :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Looks great and sturdy frame, can't say "fits in" though. How long for did it take to construct the frame ? Thanks for showing :thumbup:

Hi Chiseller, the shelter is not meant to be fitting into its surroundings;), its out next to a path so people at the Wooplaw event can have a close look at it, without having to get off the beaten track. The event is open to the general public,and the idea was to bring Bushcraft to those who know nothing about it.

Cheers Stuart.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
H
Hi Chiseller, the shelter is not meant to be fitting into its surroundings;), its out next to a path so people at the Wooplaw event can have a close look at it, without having to get off the beaten track. The event is open to the general public,and the idea was to bring Bushcraft to those who know nothing about it.

Cheers Stuart.

Hi looks good mate, please dont take this the wrong way or let it distract from your good thread but im just interested why we want to bring bushcraft to the attention of people who no nothing about it, i presume conservation and money backing but im just interested as from my experiance it dosnt help our woodland in a direct way. Hope you dont mind me asking feel free to pm me and il delete this post, thanks

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
My apologies, just going by how you titled a picture. So other than jumping on what you perceived as a criticism....how abaht answering the time scale question and that I saw it as well made and acknowledging your skill ? Cheers

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
H

Hi looks good mate, please dont take this the wrong way or let it distract from your good thread but im just interested why we want to bring bushcraft to the attention of people who no nothing about it, i presume conservation and money backing but im just interested as from my experiance it dosnt help our woodland in a direct way. Hope you dont mind me asking feel free to pm me and il delete this post, thanks

Hi Vizsla, no worries, i think for my part anyway,and i can only comment for myself, is that i think it has benefits showing people what it is about. My ethos on bushcraft is hopefully that if we learn people respect for the enviroment,then just maybe it will have a knock on effect, having respect for their enviroment then maybe hopfully people will start to respect each other. There will be kids at this event,and to me,learning them about the natural world,and respect,is important, as they will be the next custodians of the enviroment when i am long gone.

Again i reiterate,this is only my personal feelings.

Thanks Stuart.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
My apologies, just going by how you titled a picture. So other than jumping on what you perceived as a criticism....how abaht answering the time scale question and that I saw it as well made and acknowledging your skill ? Cheers

Hi Chiseller, i'm sorry if it came across that way,but believe me i did'nt take it as criticism in anyway shape or form. And again sorry about the timescale question,as i had it in the first thread that i did,and i put a link into this post. Someone had asked in the other thread about timescale. Anyway it has taken about 9 hrs for the frame,and today about 4hrs collecting Bracken, then the thatching.

Again i'm sorry about the mix up,and thanks for looking.

Cheers Stuart.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi Vizsla, no worries, i think for my part anyway,and i can only comment for myself, is that i think it has benefits showing people what it is about. My ethos on bushcraft is hopefully that if we learn people respect for the enviroment,then just maybe it will have a knock on effect, having respect for their enviroment then maybe hopfully people will start to respect each other. There will be kids at this event,and to me,learning them about the natural world,and respect,is important, as they will be the next custodians of the enviroment when i am long gone.

Again i reiterate,this is only my personal feelings.

Thanks Stuart.
Thanks alot stuart i see were your coming from and i can see your passion. Its a difficult one i suppose some people it will help to respect the countryside but on the flipside it can also be inviting people with no respect into our woodland with a axe and lighter. Its certainly beter to show people direct like you are than through tv showes as if theyv madenthe effort to come along your half way there.
My worry is in the last 5 years or so iv seen a big increase in signs of people doing RM and BG type activities in the woods and even worse people running courses on bushcraft leaving half a dozen half built shelters scattered around.
I just hope it dosnt become a hobbie as apposed to a way of life. Or one day it will all become about money and the government will be putting tarriff meters in the woods :)
anyway im just being silly but thanks alot for your honest reply and i hope it all goes to plan. Keep up the good work mate

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thanks alot stuart i see were your coming from and i can see your passion. Its a difficult one i suppose some people it will help to respect the countryside but on the flipside it can also be inviting people with no respect into our woodland with a axe and lighter. Its certainly beter to show people direct like you are than through tv showes as if theyv madenthe effort to come along your half way there.
My worry is in the last 5 years or so iv seen a big increase in signs of people doing RM and BG type activities in the woods and even worse people running courses on bushcraft leaving half a dozen half built shelters scattered around.
I just hope it dosnt become a hobbie as apposed to a way of life. Or one day it will all become about money and the government will be putting tarriff meters in the woods :)
anyway im just being silly but thanks alot for your honest reply and i hope it all goes to plan. Keep up the good work mate

Hi vizsla, yeah i could'nt agree more mate.
Thanks again.

Cheers Stuart.

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
Hi Stuart
If your going up to finish it next week give me a shout and I'll come and give you a hand.

Cheers
Dave

A

andyBruce

Hi, Looks like a sturdy shelter, really nicely constructed! I have two questions, 1, how waterproof is that thickness of thatch? 2, is it constructed under Beech trees? I only ask because of the potential risk associated with beech trees dropping limbs without any warning!?!?! :)

Dreadhead

nice work stuart i like the thatching nice wee shelter. could bracken be a problem with tics though? i know tics are always in the heather i thought they were pretty prominent in bracken too. would hate to be sleeping in a tic den. then again several years plodding around the highlands in my kilt working and sleeping in the heather in kilt and vest never got a single tic so i would probably be fine!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Shelter looks good, I'm interested too in how watertight that is. I appreciate the roof angle is steep, but with bracken and other natural materials you usually need to achieve a thickness of at least 1m to approach the state where it keep persistent rain out? Your experience of the shelter may prove otherwise though!

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Looks grand the effort to construct shows by the sturdyness alone. Lots and lots of bracken to keep the rain out. RAF sere kit provide a plastic sheet to ensure rainproof roof(yes it is cheating) effective compromise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE