Sharpening while out and about

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Afternoon all,

I currently use a Spyderco Sharpmaker (204) to sharpen my knives/axes when I'm at home but wondered if someone could recommend a good 'portable' sharpening system.

I've not used a plain stone before but can't help thinking I wouldn't be very good at it. I'd be willing to give it a go though if it seems like the best option.

Recommendations for a good 'system' or stone manufacturer greatly appreciated.

Will be using it to sharpen VG10, S30V knives and my Gerber Camp axe (whatever steel that's made of...)

Thanks!
Hellz

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
I've just found out that Gransfors have brought out a combination coarse / fine waterstone. Circular in shape, it comes in a rubberised case (non-slip) and looks particularly handy for both axes and knives. As it's a waterstone you can even get away with spitting on it if needs must!

Coming from Gransfors I would think it well thought out and up to the job.

Bob :-D

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
I have got hold of some of these, and they seem pretty good. I have had some pretty experinced axe users play with them, and they seem spot on for in the field.

They look like an ice hockey puk, and you remove half of it to uncover the side of the stone you want to use with the remaining half as a nice rubberised grip.

I think these promote a nice circular motion for you axe, let you keep your fingers out of the way, and mean you dont need to carry oils with you. They are also nice and compact, dont weigh much, and the rubber case means you shouldn't knock lumps out of it whilst you are scrambling about in the woods.

Let me know if you would like more details. I have got to take some pictures tonight for Dave.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'm getting good results so far with a Spyderco "Double Stuff" ceramic stone, which is actually two of their stones glued together (and they cheerfully tell you so on the pack). Not a "system" of course, but to be honest using a stone is not as difficult as it appears, and it's a skill well worth acquiring.

The Spyderco comes with a good, solid leather sleeve to protect it, but it's also very tough in its own right. The grades are fine and medium, and since this type of stone is used dry it's very handy for the field. Bought mine from Axminster Tools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE