sharpening roughing gouge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2012
uk
hi guys
so i do some woodturning on my electric wood lathe at home from about 1989! but recently blunted my roughing gouge and wanted to know how to sharpen it without a jig on my dads tormek any ideas? :confused:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hi Ed,

If it's a roughing gouge it should be ground straight across the end at an an angle of something like 30 to 45 degrees. Easiest done on a normal bench grinder, just adjust the rest to suit.

Could do it on a tormek, but using the round bar as a rest would make it a bit trickier to keep the angle reasonably consistent, but then it's not that vital really as long as the resulting edge is sharp !

You could also hone it freehand with a diamond hone, or wet and dry wrapped round a flat stick.

If it's a bowl or spindle gouge with swept back wings, then they are a bit different !

Cheers, Paul

Mar 14, 2012
uk
Hi Ed,

If it's a roughing gouge it should be ground straight across the end at an an angle of something like 30 to 45 degrees. Easiest done on a normal bench grinder, just adjust the rest to suit.

Could do it on a tormek, but using the round bar as a rest would make it a bit trickier to keep the angle reasonably consistent, but then it's not that vital really as long as the resulting edge is sharp !

You could also hone it freehand with a diamond hone, or wet and dry wrapped round a flat stick.

If it's a bowl or spindle gouge with swept back wings, then they are a bit different !

Cheers, Paul

shall try then on the white (fine) wheel on the dry wheel bench grinder with the table adjusted to suit. if that doesnt work then wet and dry wrapped round a piece of dowel or the one diamond stone i have access to which is 400grit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE