Sharpening Question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I made myself up a cheap sharpening kit as per Red's thread. I sharpened up my knife recently running through the grits 240, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000.

I read that I shouldn't miss out a grit but is the list above excessive or the right way to do it?

... and now to look really naive! they are indeed sharp but when they begin to lose their edge what grit would you start with? 240 seems a little harsh.

Thanks in advance

Leo

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Strop on an old good quality leather belt would do it. All of those grits are nice to do initially but shouldn't be needed every time you sharpen.
I often just use what ever fine grade paper I have on the bench for my axe or draw knife. My pocket knife and bushy knife I just touch up on a DC4.

Big ding on the axe and its all the grades again :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can skip a grit or two, just depends how shiny you want it and whether a few scratches on the bevel annoy you :)

If she just wants a fettle, I find starting around 600 or 800 works fine. On many a knife I stop there as well - its working sharp at that point.

Heck I have a Mora that I just put on the grinder when its blunt :eek:. Its used for slicing open sacks from gravel to cement and there is no point in babying it - its just got to be sharp enough to cut stuff.

If its sharp enough, its sharp enough

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...I read that I shouldn't miss out a grit ... when they begin to lose their edge what grit would you start with? 240 seems a little harsh.

You've put your finger on it. Just do what's necessary. No more.

When I can I favour steels over abrasives like emery/carborundum/oxide/stone/diamond. In any case I wouldn't bother with all those different grades even if I were starting on a blade blank. The basic Lansky Sharpening System only comes with three grades.

When I use an abrasive on a blade, which is rare, at most a coarse and a fine usually does it for me. The definitions of 'coarse' and 'fine' are often down to circumstances, i.e. whatever I happen to have handy at the time. :)

If the edge does a lot of work then it's going to wear and lose some of its sharpness. How fast it wears depends on all sorts of things:

the material of the edge
the degree of 'sharpness'
the edge profile - this is a big factor
the materials it cuts (and any foreign materials e.g. grit, nails...)
the amount of cutting it does per unit time
the way it's used to cut
the phase of the moon

Well I might not be too sure about that last one, but there are so many variables that you can't really make hard and fast rules. You have to take it as it comes. If it's doing the job reasonably easily it's probably sharp enough. If we're talking about a general purpose or 'bushy' type knife then a sharp edge will cut very nearly as well as a very very sharp edge will cut, but other things being equal the very very sharp edge will fade a lot faster. If you sharpen it when it doesn't need it (like if you have a sort of edge fetish) you're just wasting time and materials -- and shortening the blade's (long) life.

Obviously things are a bit different for something like carving works of art, where you'll want a razor-sharp edge almost all the time so you'll be sharpening often and stropping even more often.

Thanks Guys that's a real help. I was a bit bamboozled having not been that hot on it before but setting time aside for specifically sharpenning has made me appreciate it as an act in itself. before I often felt it was carving time wasted, now the finish is so much better.

Leo

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
time spent sharpening is seldom wasted. When it needs a touch up you need to asses what it needs. If you have a nick in the blade it will need coarser grits if it has just lost that just polished zing then a touch on a strop with abrasive paste will do the job. If you are carving then abrasive paste something like autosol on a strop will be a major improvement over your 2000 grit edge. If you are cutting tomatoes or leather or string then a slightly more toothy edge can work better.

Thanks Robin

I never thought I would enjoy it but it is certainly a satisfying process in its own right. I do have a home made strop as advised by the £5 sharpening kit described on this site and some grey/blue honing paste as well, I think its down to me to practise, practise, practise now! In time I would like to get some decent stones together but with a young family and a kitchen build coming up I feel such extravagances are a little out of reach at the moment!

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190542140433?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.
I found this very helpful when whittling away or carving by hand (not turning).
I find a few wipes every now and then more than enough to keep me going .
Unless there is a chip then more work is needed.
I'm new to all this as well and I found that this is helping me to get the gouges right while I'm still learning to sharpen my kit .

you could maybe find one cheaper elsewhere shop about .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE