sharpening a golock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Can't remember where........but there's a thread and explanation somewhere where one very talented guy showed how he'd reprofiled his golok using wet'n'dry...try a search :confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I tend to use a file and maybe a coarse diamond pocket hone. My experience with most commercial choppers is that they are pretty soft and you want to be able to field sharpen them. That rather knocks water stones out. They make a great edge, but the steel has to be hard enough for it to last.

800 grit water stones do do a nice job of sharpening, but I only ever use one for machetes and parangs because I have them and have regular sharpening sessions for multiple tools. If I didn't have the stones, and wanted to get a fine edge at home, I would probably go for wet and dry and a convex edge.

If I was to go looking for a tool just for a Golok, I would get a file or axe stone first. The file might be lighter and easier to pack, but the axe stone will work on harder steel a little better. Martindale do a nice little Farmer's file for sharpening their tools.

So, lots of options. It would be hard to say what is best since it depends on the tool, how you will be using it, and what other tools you might want to sharpen using the same system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE