Shaggy parasol mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Be careful, Shaggy Parasols (Chlorophyllum rhacodes) cause an allergic reaction is some people.

It's been a good year for parasols around here. Not everyone likes the texture of them, but I think they're excellent.
Yeh I tolerate them well they really hold onto breading it doesn’t come off them n they fry well.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, but what I really meant was to warn other people, when you extol the edible value, that they may not be tolerant and to try small quantities at first. True, it won't kill them (to the best of my knowledge :)) but it could make them very unwell.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
OK, but what I really meant was to warn other people, when you extol the edible value, that they may not be tolerant and to try small quantities at first. True, it won't kill them (to the best of my knowledge :)) but it could make them very unwell.
That’s up to them to decide but I get your point

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
How did you get them to stay together and not turn to mush when you cooked them ?
Inkcaps are worse, but still....

Parasols (preferably Macrolepiota procera - a different genus) tend to stay together; they remain quite solid unless you overcook them. The gills tend to break off, but the main cap flesh has a slightly chewy solid texture.

The young ones (still in a cup shape) we stuff with vegetable stuffing or a ragout and bake. The older ones, when they open out like a plate, we treat them like a pizza base - tomato sauce, cheese, olives .... and bake. Or use them in a mushroom stroganoff (smoked paprika not mustard); it's that texture that makes them a good ingredient for stroganoff.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The only time I tried frying them they seperated up into a black mush and more solid cap pieces. It's why I wondered how he'd managed it.
I quite like the idea of making them into the 'hash brown' things though.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
The only time I tried frying them they seperated up into a black mush and more solid cap pieces. It's why I wondered how he'd managed it.
I just cut them into triangles, covered them in egg rolled them in breadcrumbs fine gold ones like you get on ham n cheese hot pockets the frozen junk food then I cooked them gently for about 20 minutes in lard with finely diced onions in pan so there like deconstructed hash browns .

Reactions: Toddy

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I’d assume the triangle shape helps it keep its integrity I guess.

Reactions: Toddy

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Be careful, Shaggy Parasols (Chlorophyllum rhacodes) cause an allergic reaction is some people.

It's been a good year for parasols around here. Not everyone likes the texture of them, but I think they're excellent.
I was on my way to the woods & collided with a pheasant, so I stopped & debreasted it at the side of the road, when I noticed doom good size shaggy parasols..picked a few to cook with the pheasant & noticed a strange feeling like tiny acid drops on my face from smelling them.
So I took it home & the next day I got the same feeling again.
Wonder what would have happened if I had eaten it?

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I was on my way to the woods & collided with a pheasant, so I stopped & debreasted it at the side of the road, when I noticed doom good size shaggy parasols..picked a few to cook with the pheasant & noticed a strange feeling like tiny acid drops on my face from smelling them.
So I took it home & the next day I got the same feeling again.
Wonder what would have happened if I had eaten it?
Iv eaten loads but it can make some people hallucinate I hear

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Exactly, which is why we all need to be cautious on this subject IMO, especially when recommending to others. Hell, I'm covered in red blotches from carrying the Christmas tree in earlier!

But I actually meant I hadn't heard of the hallucinogenic properties :)
Yeh Iv read that some people have weird dreams off it nothing major or disturbing though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE