Sewing Kit 4 Emergencies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I do take a sewing kit with me so as I can repair things in an emergency. I have repaired a feather sleeping bag (after I put a knife through it), and a rucksack shoulder strap amongst others. Nylon not polyester or cotton seems to be the best thread, and a thimbol seems invaluable, and some good size needles.

Given that a sharp knife and a keen eye are good enough to cut fabric and thread to thread a needle, is there any other sewing tips or items I should think of including ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make up a sewing plait of assorted threads that match your kit in their weight and material.

I pack a roll of top notch linen thread with a plait, large eyed needles, a leather pull through and a leather thimble. It all rolls up tidily inside a strip of felted wool.
Repairs everything from chute to boots, from pack to jackets.
Couple of locking safety pins can be useful for temporary repairs, and if you think you're likely to pop buttons put a selection into a mini zip bag and pack it with the roll.

Duck tape is surprisingly useful too :)

M

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Make up a sewing plait of assorted threads that match your kit in their weight and material.

I pack a roll of top notch linen thread with a plait, large eyed needles, a leather pull through and a leather thimble. It all rolls up tidily inside a strip of felted wool.
Couple of locking safety pins can be useful for temporary repairs, and if you think you're likely to pop buttons put a selection into a mini zip bag and pack it with the roll.

M

I've found duct tape to be even better - quack quack. :)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

M

what is a leather pull through ?

Now dont take this the wrong way Mary, my mom an her family (grandad n' kids) used to repair shoes. They used an awl and waxed thread, so waxed thread a goer, an an awl, one on my pen knife ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd carry a nice sharp needle-one longer and one shorter with some Polyester thread. The hotel sewing packets are ideal to copy. ;)

As opposed to the thimble, I'd carry a small sheet of Polymorph. This can be fashioned into a thimble, marlin spike, clips, with just a little hot water. Even makes hot glue.

I usually carry a little Mcnett seamgrip in a tiny tube and some Mcnett tenacious tape for repairing tarps, waterproofs, airbeds, hammocks etc.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tend to carry a couple of needles, strong thread, some gaffa some self adhesive Goretex, a thermarest repair kit, and a couple of replacement buckles (if my pack has plastic buckles). That - with my normal paracord and leatherman just about cover it:)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
+1 for pre-threading your needles.

I would add a sharp awl, and as already said: gaffer tape is very valuable. I roll some around a piece of brass tube so it takes up less space in my sewing pouch.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Get a housewife...:)

Then add the bits mentioned above to it.

Or get one of these and put a good selection of bits together.

$T2eC16dHJHEE9ny2srK!BRQNwB,rhg~~60_1.JPG

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
But then you have to feed her and take extra kit etc 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well alot on here seem to have a sqwaaah already to carry there bags anyway, they're always posting pictures of the little lady modeling her new backpack.

Thanks for the responses, so far I've got;

wax
nylon thread or of choice
needles
pull through
thimble
safety pins
awl possibly

N

Nomad

Get a pack of those little needle threader gizmos with the diamond-shaped bit of wire on the end. They're flat, weigh nothing, and easy to use.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thats really handy if your a blind nearly HVAC engineer who lilkes sticking his fingers together. :D

Pete, your such a blooming pesamist...by the by, whats a HVAC engineer? I had chums in school who often had sticky fingers (Boys school and all that) but family forum so can't talk about those experiences.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I carry an item that I found available from the 50's I think. It' called the Chouinard expedition sewing kit. Having passed mine on to a friend I adapted a mini 3 jaw chuck and modified it to work well, it gives me the advantage of controlled pressure. I will try to send one to someone that I have talked to before. They can put up pictures way better then I can.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I use lots f heavy canvas needles, about five, some artificial sinew, and some split down tarred nylon bank line. Makes for good strong stitching! I have them stored on a canvas patch I made myself :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE