sewing furs to a cotton parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
2943315c99c31e0c6700636a09c79ac9.jpg

ive a few fur coats that ive hoarded. id like to cut them up and sew them over a swedish parka.
id appreciate thoughts on how to go about stitching them onto a parka.

i was thinking along the lines of a carpet needle or a surgical one and just stitching randomly here and there using dental floss ?

any input appreciated . cheers

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
its only going to be a deep winter camp coat and occasional blanket so im not concerned about the washing. velcro could make things easier for the bulk areas though. cheers

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Velcro sounds about right...BTW, you selling any of this fur...?
not immediatly...i dont know how much will be scrap and how much will be usable. i do get fur coats from time to time. i may have a few collars to flog that could do for hood ruffs .....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
not immediatly...i dont know how much will be scrap and how much will be usable. i do get fur coats from time to time. i may have a few collars to flog that could do for hood ruffs .....

A hood ruff is what i'm after. let me know what you have left when you get round to it. cheers S

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chis how good are the coats on their skin side ?
Some of the really good ones are sound enough to literally be turned inside out and have the fur inwards like the Inuit do. Not all though.
If that's what you would like to do, and the skin side needs covered, then it's pretty straightforward to draft a pattern that will fit you, and make one to make an outer cotton or wool (safer round a fire usually) one to fit over that.

M

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
somes better than others and have like a fine muslin backing . others are raw.
this is the kind of feel im after and dont care if its hoggley poggley ....its a feeling ive had fir a long time.....
aaf6c0dcbabb029aedb54bc19c947d6d.jpg

bd65f3488edfa90c154c644dad90a4ef.jpg

1caeeef26e72f951fcaa37828e36d6c1.jpg

myyearnings come from a childhood watching westerns and i cant recall the film/documentery but there was an old timer with a rifle walking on the snow the snow with a great fur coat and he gave off the air of a giant amongst the pines......

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You want a huggy bear coat :)

So, fur outwards. Yes ?

Most fur coats are made from fine skinned furs and they are pieced from small bits. If you can unstitch the lining from the best one that will fit you….sort of fit even….then have a look at the inside and see just where you might need to split the stitching to add in extra.
Measure up the parka you want to use as an inner and make sure that you have enough fur to go around it properly. If you have to cut the fur then the best idea is a razor blade on the skin side and then just gently pull once you're through the skin. You'll lose a lot less hair that way and you won't have half cut ones either from using scissors.

If the skins are sound then you can simply stitch the two together at the neck and front facings and at the cuffs. I reckon you'd get away with leaving the hems with just a couple of tether bars (think of using soft ribbon rather than stitching cords with blanket stitch, it'd be gentler on the fur I think) at the side seams.

Stitching the two together….the biggest issue is that you don't want the thread to cut the skins, but you do want it to securely hold the two together.
If it were me, then I'd use fine linen thread and small stitches, but then, that's me and I'll stitch fine anyway.
I 'think' it'd be fine if you did vertical rows of running stitch down the length of the two pieces to hold them together…think quiilting like on an duvet. If you can manage to do join the front edges with a whip stitch then that would support the fur and hold it snuggly against the inner cotton jacket. The same should work at the neck and cuffs.

You're going to look like an animated teddy bear in this though Chis :D
Sue'll want to cuddle in :rolleyes: :D

M

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
cheers for such a detailed reply....now im less likely to tackle the job.
im not after a factory type finish....just a hoggled poggled finish will do. its all scrap including the base swedish parka.

i may have to sub the job out now ....sue will get her huggy bear hugs regardless lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If at least one of the coats fits close enough, I think you should have a go at it :D
Stitching is just in and out with a needle and thread, it's not rocket science :D

atb,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If at least one of the coats fits close enough, I think you should have a go at it :D
Stitching is just in and out with a needle and thread, it's not rocket science :D

atb,
M

I've devoted countless hours over many years to try and master the hand stitching of materials and fabrics and couldn't even claim to be adequate yet. If I'd put this much time and effort into say, welding, I'd have gold medals for it now!

I know all the theory, I can sit and watch somebody else doing it and know immediately how skilled or not they may be, I can tell somebody what mistakes they're making and get them going successfully, but I just don't have whatever it is I'd need to be competent and happy with it, yet I'm pretty good with my hands and tools........Never understood it!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine's not perfect either, but it's still functional :)
This is on silk, and I average about 28 to the inch…..pretty much my standard for patchwork.

21109466999_3f0cea9a5a_z.jpg

21109464299_05bb57a844_z.jpg

20673659394_e1094f5f27_z.jpg

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE