"Setting up The Green Mans Axe" inspired followup -Poor man's axe rescue (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi guys.

The thread about rescuing The Green Man's axe (here) by British Red was very inspiring and a joy to read.

Also, it inspired confidence for me to try and rescue my own cheapo B&Q axe. The bevel (and general condition) of the axe could be described as poor. Even if I fail miserably (quite possible) it will be a leaning experience. I still have wet dreams about Cegga axes ;)

The tools I plan to use:

- £2 square Sheffield b@stard file (local hardware store)
- Aldi sharpening kit £7.99 (thanks Black Sheep for the heads up)
- leather belt for stropping
- probably some band-aid for my fingers ;)

Anyway, enough waffling, here is the project before I start (excuse the bad pic quality, only have a mobile phone cam :eek: ):

2245638845_44c96632b0.jpg

The axe, sharpening kit and file.

2246437032_cf56e93738.jpg

Side view 1 and close up of file.

2245639827_c62097abf6.jpg

Detail of bevel side 1.

2246437194_26a79a2659.jpg

Side view other side and file.

2245639669_6f189f24b3.jpg

Detail of bevel other side.

2246439038_da28e36800.jpg

The culprit (bevel).

2246439202_6fa4a5a6ea.jpg

Bevel close up and fingernail. :D

2246438222_7d943e6d31.jpg

Top view.

2246438408_4be3023b6b.jpg

back view.

2246438684_49092d7634.jpg

View from below (front).

2245640909_4eb35ea265.jpg

View from below (back). Makers mark???

2245641217_6cb11321e2.jpg

A dent in the axe head (adds character... :lmao: )

And finally... just for a laugh (cry?)

2245641827_df00504d13.jpg

The sheath. :togo:

I'll update my progress in this thread.

Any pointers very welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The makers mark is the weight of your axe 1 1/2 lbs, I think.

Good photos of your work,I pimped a homebase axe after reading the thread about same on here.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good axes those! Not your classic wooden helved job but a decent synthetic helve that won't warp or shrink and generally a well made head. I'm not ashamed to admit I have the larger version for rough work. The mask is rubbish I agree - but theres no reason you can't make something better out of leather (lets face it - GB masks are rubbish too!)

As for pointers, without wanting to blow my own trumpet, I did do a thread with pictures on how to sharpen an axe properly - I've put a link in below. Hopefully that should get you started at least

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22814

Shout if I can help

Red

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
i'm currently re-doing 2 b+q axes at the moment - the 'edge' on the larger axe measured 3mm at its worst point, so quite a bit to file off - Reds tutorial is excellent and has come in very useful

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi there

Finally got round to have some free time to spend on my little project.

I used BRs tutorial as a basis, and also used Gloves, as advised. :eek:

I also got me a DC4 for the finer work.

Here is the progress so far.

2264928612_eae02a1056.jpg

Bevel side 1

2264137881_b8d583b812.jpg

Side 1 angle view

2264137187_b04db82f8b.jpg

Bevel side 1 detail

2264136839_878fcafe2d.jpg

Bevel side 2

2264137693_2698ca8839.jpg

Side 2 angle view

2264137361_9dc80fb6c9.jpg

Bevel side 2 detail

2264929104_63c46bec98.jpg

View from below

I think it looks ok :confused:

I guess I can improve and even out the bevel even more with the finer tools.

When the bevel is done I maybe even can polish the axe head (and get rid of all the rubber that covers it)??

And also make a leather sheath...

Maybe I can wrap some leather around the handle to make it look nicer and also to give a better grip (don't like the sticky plastic too much).

What do you think?

Feedback or suggestions for improving very welcome.

I enjoy doing this!

Mike

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Looks to me like it's coming along a treat. Where to stop, now there is a question! Certainly continue to polish out the bevel, but beyond that I think it's going to be cosmetic.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Looks to me like it's coming along a treat. Where to stop, now there is a question! Certainly continue to polish out the bevel, but beyond that I think it's going to be cosmetic.

Hi Mirius,

cheers, it's all a big learning curve.

Regarding when to stop, I totally agree, it would be cosmetic. I'd like to make it look nice, makes me want to use it more I guess :p

Mike

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Mike,

Why not try polishing it right at the edge, just for now? I personally wouldn’t remove all of the marks from the b@astard file, just those that are very close to the edge, then hone and polish the edge, then give the tool a go. It looks a little thick at the moment, but if splitting firewood is all you want to do with it, then it could be OK to leave it thick, as that will help to wedge the dry wood apart.

If you want to do some deep chopping cuts or use it more like a knife on occasions, you’ll probably need to thin it out some more. I tend to work on a blade (knife/hatchet/axe/whatever), then test it with some cutting/chopping, and if it didn’t work as well as I’d hoped, I do some more work to it, and stop when it does what I’d like it to do and when it does it well. Having honed the edge, if it does what you need it to do, then you could set about removing the file marks further back from the cutting edge. On the other hand, if after testing, you decide that you would like to thin it out some, then you didn’t waste all that time and energy removing the file marks behind the cutting edge and can start removing more metal with the file further back from the edge.

Unless you know what you want to do with it, it’s hard to know what should be done and how far the work to it should proceed.

As a relative novice, I find that the regrind-test-regrind-test… cycle works well for me, and by doing, I take the learning to the level beyond reading and theory. Nothing wrong with reading though, I tend to do a lot myself before embarking on a project. I make lots of mistakes, put a lot of work into it, take every opportunity to learn how to use the tool, and through that process learn how I might do things differently next time, or discover the fine tuning that needs to be done. My methods tend to be slow, and they wouldn’t suit everyone, but they work for me.

Looking forward to your next report of progress.

Cheers,
Paul.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That bevels looking a thousand percent better already malente - far more even. I wouldn't leather cover the handle to be honest - it would only thicken the handle at best and at worst could part company at a vital point.

Paul's advice is missed - don't take too much off at a time - try it, then thin some more.

Red

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi there,

been a while, but I haven't abandoned the project!

Life was just a bit busy for me (moved house, second baby on the way...).

TheGreenMan and BR, I took your advise, cheers for the feedback!

I used the finer grits and then the DC4 to polish the edge, and it is now sharp enough to cut into my fingernail. Wow!

I was on a canoe trip on the Lakes this week and tried it out, splitting wood and cutting finer wood etc. It works so much better now!

Here are some pictures (sorry for the poor quality, the edge really is polished now which you can't see on the pics)...

final1.jpg

final2.jpg

final3.jpg

(I cut myself sharpening one of my knifes :eek:)

final4.jpg

Next will be a mask if I find the time...

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE