Semi-Hibernation for Winter Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

Tim Rast

I'm an archaeologist working in the Canadian Arctic and sub-Arctic. My specialty is flintknapping and making reproductions of artifacts. I recently completed a set of reproductions of stone tools from very early sites on Ellesmere Island (photo below). The tiny artifacts belong to a culture called Independence I. They were the first people to live in the High Arctic and Northern Greenland, between about 4400 and 3300 years ago. Based on where these sites are located and the sorts of features and artifacts that we find at them, archaeologists think that these people spent their winters in a kind of semi-hibernation.

I'm interested in the Bushcraft community's insight on that idea.

Maybe a little background would help. The Independence I people were part of a group called the Palaeoeskimos, who lived in the Arctic before the Inuit arrived in the Eastern Arctic within the last 1000 years. We find their sites in locations that were not considered habitable by the Inuit and the Independence I people seem to have had a very different way of life.

They didn't have semi-subterranean houses for the winter and there's no evidence for snow houses (the tools to make them aren't found at their sites), instead they lived in above ground tents. They didn't make soapstone lamps to burn seal oil, instead they made open fires in box hearths and relied on small plants and driftwood for fuel. They made relatively little use of marine mammals, instead they specialized in muskox hunting.

This sort of evidence has led archaeologists to the conclusion that conserving heat would have been the primary winter activity during the months of darkness. Its been speculated that food and fuel in the winter months would have been so scarce that people spent most of that time indoors, living off summer cached food and trying to maintain body heat through inactivity. There probably have been lots of storytelling, singing and games, but for the most part they would have made it through the winter sleeping and dreaming in a kind of semi-hibernation.

There's a much more complete discussion of this concept in Ancient People of the Arctic by Bob McGhee, where he describes a way of life that is "well beyond the bounds of endurance known from any human group described by anthropologists or historians."

What are your thoughts and reactions? The idea is partly supported by stories of white trappers living in North Canada who would spend much of the winter dreaming. Could you imagine living like this and raising a family in this place? Is there another explanation that is more likely?

These are Independence I artifacts from northern Ellesmere Island (back two rows) and reproductions that I made (front two rows).

KettleLakepartingshots012-1.jpg

Independence Fjord - the location of the type site for this culture.

IndependenceFjordMap-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sounds very much like how I'd spend my winters given half a chance. Once we get below 8 hours of daylight, I can sleep for 12 hours a night and easily spend several more in a kind of half-concious dream state. I find it really, really hard to cope with anything like "normal" hours during winter... I also seem to be able to reduce my calorie intake, if only the bloody alarm clock would leave me alone. So it sounds feasible to me...

Nice knapping BTW!

T

Tim Rast

Yeah, they're just too remote. They would have certainly moved around throughout the year, and probably have been in contact with other people across Greenland and the Canadian Arctic, but even at the southern limits of their range the lifestyle described above seems consistent with the tools and tent rings they used everywhere.

T

Tim Rast

Sounds very much like how I'd spend my winters given half a chance. Once we get below 8 hours of daylight, I can sleep for 12 hours a night and easily spend several more in a kind of half-concious dream state. I find it really, really hard to cope with anything like "normal" hours during winter... I also seem to be able to reduce my calorie intake, if only the bloody alarm clock would leave me alone. So it sounds feasible to me...

Nice knapping BTW!

Thanks, I know what you mean!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too. Summer I'm fine of three or four hours sleep for a while, then a couple of longer nights. In Winter, ye gods but I can sleep the clock round.
I *have* to be organised, I have to have stores in, and there's very little chance of inspirational ideas or creativity from me during the dark of the year.

I don't think they needed to exist solely in a kind of dwam though. Just coorie in and stay comfortable.
Muskox provide good resources :approve:, and for fuel, well, their droppings burn well (prairie coals) and so do their bones.

Nice knapping :D

cheers,
Toddy

T

Tim Rast

That's a good point about burning musk-ox dung and bones. I hadn't made that connection before, but yes, that's another good fuel source for open fires.

bearbait

What was the climate in that area three to five thousand years ago? It seems to me possible that a degree or two warmer than perhaps currently considered could make a great deal of difference to the comfort and survival of those people. Similarly, the volume of precipitation. Maybe they built snow/ice walls to prevent windchill to their tents? Maybe their body (shape shorter/fatter?) help maintain core temperature. I don't know about muskox but does their meat have a high fat content? A high fat diet gives one fuel to help stay warm. (I have heard of explorers in the arctic eating a couple of packs of butter a day to get enough fat for body fuel/warmth.)

Interesting questions you're posing...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got 'flu so the brain's no' working too quickly.

Musk ox are can be domesticated. They produce high quality milk, wool, hair and when slaughtered meat and fur and leather as well as the resource material that is bone and horn.

Since they eat plant material that is not toxic to, but is hard to digest by, humans, the boiled guts (think sausages) would also provide vitamins and minerals that would otherwise be unobtainable.

Now if you could prove a domestication for those beasts at that early date (not unfeasible, we know of canids from several sites from similar times) that would be really interesting :)

I knew I'd read something on this topic a while back

"In Greenland, for example, humans and musk oxen arrived and began their expansion at the same time."
From this page.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100308171152.htm

cheers,
Toddy

T

Tim Rast

What was the climate in that area three to five thousand years ago? It seems to me possible that a degree or two warmer than perhaps currently considered could make a great deal of difference to the comfort and survival of those people. Similarly, the volume of precipitation. Maybe they built snow/ice walls to prevent windchill to their tents? Maybe their body (shape shorter/fatter?) help maintain core temperature. I don't know about muskox but does their meat have a high fat content? A high fat diet gives one fuel to help stay warm. (I have heard of explorers in the arctic eating a couple of packs of butter a day to get enough fat for body fuel/warmth.)

Interesting questions you're posing...

You're right to wonder about the climate. It was warmer then, probably on the same scale as the medieval warm period that helped the Norse move into Greenland and the Thule Inuit migrate into the Eastern Arctic from Alaska. The warm climate adaptation that the Independence I people used was one based on terrestrial resources (musk-ox), while the Thule Inuit brought a warm climate, open water marine technology that focused on marine mammal hunting. The sorts of places in the High Arctic that were attractive to musk-ox and therefore Independence I people weren't attractive to seals and therefore the Thule Inuit. But no matter the temperature, there's no escaping the months of darkness that comes with living at that extreme latitude.

The Independence I people definitely would have been cold adapted. Genetically they were Palaeoeskimo, the same as the 4000 year old Saqqaq man from Greenland whose genome was sequenced this past spring.

I'm not certain about the fat content of Musk-ox. I know that it doesn't have surplus fat that can be used in oil lamps, like sea mammals, but I don't know if its so lean that you need to supplement it with other grease so that your body can process it. There are instances of people starving to death in the middle of caribou herds because the animals were so lean that the people eating them couldn't process the protein without extra fat added. I don't know if musk-ox meat can become dangerously lean like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just eat the brains and marrow, traditionally choice foods anyway, to get grease. Don't know about their livers, I know that polar bear liver is too rich in Vitamin ? (I think it's A) to be safe to eat.

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Is it an age thing,survival wise, that liver and assosciated entrails become more appealing taste wise?

I can certainly eat offal that I wouldn't when young and of course i'm sure everyones Granny liked tripe,i'm not at that stage yet though.

Apologies to veggies btw.

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
The Dorset PaleoEskimos seem to have differentiated themselves from later Eskimo by not having bows and arrows and living off a mostly marine diet, and burning seal oil in soapstone lamps. I don't know if these are typical of all the paelo groups or the ones you were refering to.

I remember hearing about a soapstone quarry and found this link.
http://www.heritagefoundation.ca/property-search/property-details.aspx?id=2540

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They, that's *they, they* :rolleyes: tell us that BSE started as scrapie in sheep.

My grandfather loved singed sheep's heid. He roasted it outside (mostly 'cos granny wouldn't allow the stink in her kitchen) and then brought it in in a bowl and ate it using a horn spoon.
He lived hale, hearty and a genius level IQ until his late 90's.

What did we do to the beasts to make their brains bad to eat ?

And before anyone asks, no, I havnae eaten it, I considered my grandpa's dinners with a great deal of dubiety even as an infant :yuck: A hot horn spoon has the kind of smell that's never forgotten.

You might have a point though Tam, I'm certainly prepared to try, and find myself liking, vegetables that I would never have considered when I was younger. Meat ye can have :D

cheers,
Toddy

T

Tim Rast

The Dorset PaleoEskimos seem to have differentiated themselves from later Eskimo by not having bows and arrows and living off a mostly marine diet, and burning seal oil in soapstone lamps. I don't know if these are typical of all the paelo groups or the ones you were refering to.

I remember hearing about a soapstone quarry and found this link.
http://www.heritagefoundation.ca/property-search/property-details.aspx?id=2540

Yeah, you're absolutely right. The story gets weirder as you follow the Palaeoeskimos through time. The Independence I people seem to have arrived in the High Arctic with bows and arrows, drills, and dogs - some of the core things that you associate with Arctic survival. But over time, the descendants of these people lost or abandoned all those things, so that by the time you get to the Dorset culture (direct descendants of the Independence I people) you have the culture that you've descirbed above. They switch from being terrestiral musk-ox hunters to marine mammal hunters who thrive in a colder than present environment. They started making soapstone lamps and burning sea mammal oil. The Dorset culture dates from around 2800-1000 years (the dates vary depending on what part of the Arctic you are talking about). The Independence I people belonged to an earlier part of the Palaeoeskimo timeline with other "pre-Dorset" groups. The Independence I people passed their genes on to the Dorset Palaeoeskimo, but the culture had changed and become something much different as they settled into their new Arctic surroundings over many centuries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE