Semi Aquatic ancestor theory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Before I get lambasted the out off Africa model is also just a theory I believe fish is optimal food for humans incl shellfish hypothesis iv read claim bipedilism evolved from wading. Modern Apes stand on 2 legs in swamp forests to cross water, humans have many coastal adaptations brown fat and white fat less hair kidneys that excrete excess salt. Brains that thrive on DHA fats and good swimming capabilities it's possible we were sea hunters then conquered land in that order there's to many adaptations to write here but Google is your friend thoughts?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nope, just nope.

It's based on the premise that we have mostly fur free skins....well so do mole rats.

We share the vast majority of our genes with the other great apes; 98.8% iirc.
Of course the corollary is that monkeys are 98.8% human :rolleyes2:

Anthropologists don't take the AAH theory seriously. No fossil evidence, and the lady who postulated it did so as a feminist take agin Desmond Morris' very male centred one on human development.

The reality is that the things that folks comment upon as being developments because of aquatic living are actually not related. They are seperate developments and they are present in the other great apes too. They're not a result of aquatic living.

Pretty sure there's an easily absorbed big Wiki article about it.
I'll find a link, easier that quoting dozens of archaeology and anthropology texts.

M

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Flat earth! There's people who will believe anything. I knew a guy who got banned for the correct use of science, maths, physics, etc to disprove theories being discussed on the flat earth society forum. To be fair he was only trolling them. Iirc they kind of acknowledged him as they banned him.

They are absolute nutters though. If you're a logical and argumentative type looking for a bit of fun, sign up to their forum and join the discussions. Lol!

BTW I think AAH is kind of the flat earth theory for anthropologists. I wonder if there's a forum for it too?

Reactions: Ozmundo and Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Flat earth! There's people who will believe anything. I knew a guy who got banned for the correct use of science, maths, physics, etc to disprove theories being discussed on the flat earth society forum. To be fair he was only trolling them. Iirc they kind of acknowledged him as they banned him.

They are absolute nutters though. If you're a logical and argumentative type looking for a bit of fun, sign up to their forum and join the discussions. Lol!

BTW I think AAH is kind of the flat earth theory for anthropologists. I wonder if there's a forum for it too?
Is that the flat earth forum with members all over the globe?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Why not let them be!
It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of them knew they were wrong.
I believe it’s more to do with identity in a world where distant “others” are explaining our world and communicating it to us through the one way systems of books and TV. Some people might feel resentful.

No it’s not going to go away because the science that discovers things and informs us tends to be remote and not easily accessible. This means that the answer to the challenge “…. You can’t prove it!” is equally remote. Does E really equal M x C x C. Dr. Einstein said so. I believe people that I perceive as plausible who say so and who have written explanations that I believe I understand. I don’t know much at all.

I have a friend who is a flat Earther. He doesn’t believe that the Americans have got to the moon either. He is inclined to believe that the Chinese will get there. I see that as an indication of an anti-establishment stance but what do I know.

If you really want to take on misinformation join Truthjuice for as long as you can stick it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These sort of topics, and discussion can be fun. A sort of exercise in, "well, why not ?", and everybody has to think about what they think they know.

M

Reactions: Poacherman

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is that the flat earth forum with members all over the globe?
Yes. I actually think they say all around the planet when describing membership. I've heard it said it exists to find all the conspiracy theorists / gullible in one place for tracking or exploitation. Even among conspiracy theorists there's some with thicker tin foil in their hats!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The very real trouble is when the people espousing pseudo science and spreading misinformation set up educational trusts and promoting school syllabuses based on it. There's something like 25 uk schools that teach to the syllabus of a Texan educational trust and almost all of them have been found to produce school leavers insufficiently prepared for future adult life.

I read stories of school leavers unable to go to university because their school qualifications based on this syllabus weren't recognised. Or kids who did make it into university and had to do foundation years just to get their science knowledge to the level needed for their course. It totally amazed me how in the UK free schools could do what they liked.

I am trying to be apolitical and impartial but what I read about this one set of pseudo science espousing cranks was terrible for the kids in their sphere of influence. Without intending to cause offence, this texas HQed educational trust was a Christian fundamentalist group that taught bible inspired pseudo science. It is cases like this that makes me believe there should be zero tolerance of other pseudo science groups like flat earthers. It's also why we need to teach scientific method better and indeed STEM subjects at school for longer.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
There's also the aquatic dinosaur hypothesis which may have credibility for some species of dinosaur. Spinosaurus is now regarded as probably semi aquatic.

Check out 'morphic resonance' if you fancy having your brain addled by another crackpot theory.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
IMG_5491.jpeg
This may be a bit of academic dot joining but it seems credible.

Mud skippers and catfish may be going in the opposite direction.

…… and……

IMG_5492.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
The sleep of reason produces monsters..

Glick_Repunctuating.jpg

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan

I don't mean we're literally aquatic but we're well equiped for coastal environments this has abs nothing to do with flat earth the earth is a sphere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE